Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a white truck and the black fender flares... and I didn't like the look of the black on white, so instead of painting or ordering new white flares, I decided to see what it would look like just taking them off, and... it looks great! It gives the truck a very smooth, clean look! Just wondering if anyone else has done this? or if there is any negative affects of doing this?

ps. removal time was about 20 minutes, very easy

Dan

·
Registered
170 Posts
Have you noticed any additional spray on the sides from wet roads/mud/rocks?? With just stock tires, my truck will through stuff up as high as the driver window. I wonder if without the flares you may see alot of this. Might be worth it though. By the way, how did you take them off? How about some pictures of what it looks like w/o them.

Bob

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I wanted to do the same thing when I bought my truck. I took them off and stood back and looked it for a quite a while. To me it looked to much like a 1500 although I think it did look better. My main concern was that the front tires hang out to far. My flares are white on my white truck. I think if they were black I would have taken them off as well.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bob,

I just took them off tonight and haven't even had a chance to drive it yet, without them on... but the road debri isn't that big of a deal to me, because I'm going to be putting on mud flaps in the very near future...

Removal: Use a long flathead screwdriver with a small head, just slide the flathead under the plastic rivets and pop out of the hole. There are a couple plastic rivets that don't pop off, you have to use a pair of pliers to pull them out.

I will have pictures later this week as I don't have access to a digital camera and my buddy is coming home from college on thursday and I will get some pics posted.

Dan

·
Registered
331 Posts
I took my fender flares off this weekend. I think it looks great, but I too am a little weary of the fact that the front tires stick way out. Also I noticed that the flares rubbed the paint bare in a few places, looks like Iam going to have to get the ugly black textured flares painted. I also removed the rubber door molding, i think that alone improved the clean looks. Just my 2 cent.

Russ

·
Registered
479 Posts
That's the first thing I did to my truck was remove the flares. I don't care for the rust they cause up here in the saltbelt... As stated earlier they rub the paint off.

So if anyone wants a white set, they are for sale!

And as for the look, it makes it look like a 1500... especially since I also removed all the badges and stickers from the truck.

·
Registered
349 Posts
A local used truck dealer has been adding chrome trim around the wheel wells on GM trucks without fender flares and it really looks sharp. I wouldn't worry about the wheels sticking out. I used to prefer the black flares on white trucks but have recently been convinced that the painted flares look nicer. Sorry 1BAD01. Nothing personal.

·
Registered
135 Posts

I like mine on the 95. I've never liked a truck that didn't have any wheel mouldings. I'm going to put some on mine if it doesn't have any, so anyone that has taken a black set off an 04 I might be in the market for some.

ROB

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I like mine. They make it different than lots of the other white trucks in town.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I like the smooth painted to match flares best.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like the painted to match flares too, but don't have the money to buy new flares and I don't really want to paint the ones I have and screw them up... if anyone has white flares and wants black ones, maybe there is a possible trade agreement? PM if interested...

Dan

·
Registered
509 Posts
Bad01, I agree with you. My 01 is whit and has teh black flares and side moudling like yours. The one difference is the rocker panels have been sprayed with black Rhino liner from wheel well to wheel well. Adds a nice touch!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Old man

How about a picture w/Rhino rocker panels.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I love my black fender flares on my white truck. It would look too much like a 1/2 ton and my tires would throw up too much stuff without them on. The only way I have smooth fender flares was if it was 2 tone, which would be sweet.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Duallyvette said:
Old man

How about a picture w/Rhino rocker panels.

My wife is down in the lower 48 right now. She has the camera with her. When she gets back, this weekend, I'll get a picture or two.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts