Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to start my chevy 2500 duramax this morning when white smoke was coming from the engine and it was making a loud ticking noise what would cause this

·
Administrator
15,971 Posts
I went to start my chevy 2500 duramax this morning when white smoke was coming from the engine and it was making a loud ticking noise what would cause this
Have you checked for any codes?
Done any recent work to the truck?

·
Administrator
15,971 Posts

·
Administrator
15,971 Posts
When I plug the wiring harness to injector 2 the white smoke goes away but it still has the tick noise
Was the tick there before the smoke? The Duramax already has a typewriter tick noise that is normal

·
Administrator
15,971 Posts
No it started this morning both at the same time
Are you running any additive in your fuel?
If not, try a healthy dose of Grey bottle, Power Service, Diesel Kleen and see if the tick noise goes away

·
Administrator
15,971 Posts
Would that be a bad fuel injector the tick noise is really loud
Hard to say but I would verify balance rates with a proper scan tool

·
Administrator
15,971 Posts

·
Administrator
15,971 Posts
They both started the same time

Ok would it be something serious I had the p0303 and p0266 cade pop up.
Both codes indicate a misfire issue and yes, it's serious.
Check your injector wire harness for rubbed through, corrosion, broken wire, etc. make sure the connection is nice and tight
The white smoke and tick could be related to a bad injector but you need balance rates to figure that out.
If you don't see a bad injector wire then try the ice pick trick on the injector connection to see if things change.

·
Administrator
15,971 Posts
Not sure what you mean by ice pick trick
Ok, for now, forget the icepick trick. Just go through your injector wire harness like I mentioned

Reactions: Tolliwacker

·
Administrator
15,971 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts