Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 2013 2500hd with the lml with 55,000 miles on the truck. I have owned the truck for almost 3 years. I have had the def tank heater replaced and the 9th injector replaced along the way. I have noticed while in regen mode if I take off from a stoplight quickly or getting onto the interstate from the ramp the truck will produce a puff of white smoke out the tailpipe. Sometimes it can be enough smoke to ghost out the cars behind me, usually happens about 5-6 times and then quits. It does not throw any codes and the truck runs/drives fine and only does it in regen mode. Usually once per tank fill up as the truck is short tripped a lot. I have read up on this and most things I find people say a clogged particulate filter and the only way to have the dealer diagnose is to have them do a forced regen while driving. I have taken my truck to the dealership to have it checked out and of course all the did was hook it up to the computer and found no codes-they would not do anything I asked them to do with test driving doing a forced regen. I have a video of it smoking, just need to figure out how to post it here. Any help or thoughts guys? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Do a search on here as this has been discussed quite a bit. That’s nothing, mine will literally billow white smoke. If you say there’s no MIL, and it runs and drives fine, don’t worry about it.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
My experince with this is it is caused be fuel that does not burn hot enough in the 9th injector "low pressure burn"

Thoughts bio diesel or/and additive lower the burn temperature.

Try buying fuel from a different source.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do a search on here as this has been discussed quite a bit. That’s nothing, mine will literally billow white smoke. If you say there’s no MIL, and it runs and drives fine, don’t worry about it.

Just curious on what to search? I tried white smoke in Regen and got one topic which I had found before. Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah, mine did that today for a minute or two. Smoked out the whole road every time I gave it any throttle at all, mpg plummeted, and then a minute later it was right as rain again...

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
ever notice when you leave a propane BBQ on long enough to burn off the crud or what's left after a self cleaning oven is done? White ash. I suspect the same thing with the DPF. it likely doesn't vaporize everything, but leaves a white ash that is very fine and easy to blow out the exhaust.

Mine does the same if it's in regen and I'm driving around town or stop and go. On the highway under reasonable load I never have noticed the white cloud. I suspect that under decent load the ash get's blown out continously and isn't noticed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was doing 60 when I noticed it, and it wasn't just noticeable... I really thought something was wrong, but all the gauges were normal and then it went and cleared up all by itself. This is the only regen truck I've ever driven that didn't have any kind of notice pop up to tell me wtf is going on when it goes into this cycle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Normal, but can be embarassing at times. Its unburnt fuel that collects in the DPF. Not soot ash...
Agreed.

Mine was a whole lot worse than that. It would blow enough smoke to give a coal roller envy! Worse part was my commute home wasn't long enough to complete the regen cycle and if I didn't pay attention and shut down, It would start all back up again and do the same thing the next day :confuzeld

·
Registered
33 Posts
The ninth injector can fail and cause white smoke on regen.
My did the same thing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Did you have yours repaired, and if so, did the white smoke stop?

Sorry for the late response, yes it was repaired , but not covered on warranty. Yes the repair stopped the white cloud, there will always be a minor amount of soot dumped when it goes thru cleaning and you floor it. Before the repair it would lay down a big cloud of white smoke, it was embarrassing . GM has now extended the warranty on the ninth injector, and reimbursed me for most of the repair.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts