Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I started my truck this morning I saw a puff of white smoke come from under the engine compartment. I poped the hood and noticed a glow plug wire was completely melted all the way back to the glow plug control. I just installed new glow plugs last week, what would have caused this to happen?

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Sounds like one of the plugs was shorted out completely - moisture? Too much current through the wire would cause the insulation to melt. Odd though given the high current flow for a glow plug anyway.

·
Registered
534 Posts
If the ceramic end was cracked or missing, the terminal may have been touching the head...DEAD SHORT, and the weakest link was the wire between the controller and the glow plug. Hopefully that's all that fried and not a glow plug controller.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hopefully that's all that fried and not a glow plug controller.
The controller is still in working order. I have started the truck a dozen or so times since this morning, but I did just cut what was left of the fried wire loose from the controller. Going to track which plug it is down as soon as I have time. I know it is on the turbo side, it is a PITA to get to the plugs on that side.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts