Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time this has ever happend. This morning lots of white smoke on start-up and the motor seemed like it was running on 3 cylinders. I shut off the motor and tried starting again. Same thing for a few seconds but then the motor smoothed out and the white smoke quit. It was colder than ususal here...30's.

What is up???

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
bad glows...

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
What you experienced is quite typical up here in the frozen tundra. What happened was that only a few cylinders were firing until there was enough temperature for the others to join in. There are lots of factors that can add up to the problem, but the main one is bad glow plugs. In Florida you are lucky to not have to rely on your glow plug system very often. Low compression and tired injectors are other things that can factor in. To check your glow plugs all you need to do is pull the wires off of them and use a test light. Clip the test light to the positive side of the battery so when you touch the point to a ground the light lights up. Then touch each glow plug where the wire was connected and the light should light. If it does not the circuit is broken in the plug and it is not working. It is best to replace all of your glow plugs at the same time so the resistances that the glow plug controller sees are the same. The controller will last longer that way. If there are lots of miles on the injectors they are probably not spraying as fine of a mist of fuel as they did when new. The fine mist is easier to light. A local injection shop can test your injectors for you and let you know what shape the ones you have are in. Or you can wait until the toasty weather comes back and not worry about it. Lucky you! :D

·
Registered
551 Posts
Almost certainly bad glow plugs. You would only notice this during cold weather. In warm weather the glow plug system is pretty much not needed due to the very high compression on the 6.5's. What you felt was indeed probably only 3 cylinders firing. Not necessary to shut it off and re-start. Just leave it running, and you'll gradually hear and feel additional cylinders start to fire over the next several seconds of running, and when all 8 are firing, it will be smooth and the smoke will stop. It's pretty much harmless as long as it starts reasonably quickly. In very cold weather (in the teens or below), only 3 glow plugs working may make it difficult to start at all. But in the 30's you'll get a rough smokey start which clears up quickly. Can make for an impressive smoke show though! I've fogged out my neighbor's house a few times when my glowplugs weren't working.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stingray454;1605388; said:
Almost certainly bad glow plugs. You would only notice this during cold weather. In warm weather the glow plug system is pretty much not needed due to the very high compression on the 6.5's. What you felt was indeed probably only 3 cylinders firing. Not necessary to shut it off and re-start. Just leave it running, and you'll gradually hear and feel additional cylinders start to fire over the next several seconds of running, and when all 8 are firing, it will be smooth and the smoke will stop. It's pretty much harmless as long as it starts reasonably quickly. In very cold weather (in the teens or below), only 3 glow plugs working may make it difficult to start at all. But in the 30's you'll get a rough smokey start which clears up quickly. Can make for an impressive smoke show though! I've fogged out my neighbor's house a few times when my glowplugs weren't working.
I did smoke up the neighborhood pretty good...it did it again this morning. It's been harder to start since i had the IP replaced a few months ago. The shop asked me to bring it back by but I just haven't had the chance. I thought while removing the intake maybe they bumped some of the wires or something. I will have the chance to drop it off later this week.

·
Registered
177 Posts
mp4037;1605516; said:
I did smoke up the neighborhood pretty good...it did it again this morning. It's been harder to start since i had the IP replaced a few months ago. The shop asked me to bring it back by but I just haven't had the chance. I thought while removing the intake maybe they bumped some of the wires or something. I will have the chance to drop it off later this week.
Hi, who replaced your IP, Shivers? I live near you and was wondering how much that set you back, in case mine goes out.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
85vette;1605595; said:
Hi, who replaced your IP, Shivers? I live near you and was wondering how much that set you back, in case mine goes out.
Yes... I think they did a very resonable job...I don't have the recept in front of me but if memory serves me correctly it was $1475 for a NEW pump installed and timed. That was about a hundred bucks more than I could find a new pump with the PMD not including the manifold kit. I was going to do it myself but that was a very good price and a 12 month warrenty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I live in upper Idaho where tempertures often dip into the negative teens and twenties at night. Never had any problems with smoke or the truck firing up just like in the summer and thats with it sitting outside every night with no engine heater. If your having issues at 30 degrees its probably something more serious than glowplugs.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
powercat4x4;1607027; said:
I live in upper Idaho where tempertures often dip into the negative teens and twenties at night. Never had any problems with smoke or the truck firing up just like in the summer and thats with it sitting outside every night with no engine heater. If your having issues at 30 degrees its probably something more serious than glowplugs.
When I bought mine, I only had four working glow plugs, and it was about 30°F. Then when the glow plug relay went, about the same... near 30°F Both occasions, very very hard to start. Glow system in good order, runs great. Start with the easy stuff, work your way up to anything more difficult after glows are at good baseline working conition.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts