Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone like the GM OEM white face guage clusters (SS, Escalade, Denali, Hummer) available for the 03/04 trucks. Been thinking about getting one but not 100% sure I like'em that much. Thought I'd see what others think?

On edit ... here's one I "think" I like ...

Edited by: tophog

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Two questions, is it worth the hassle to change out and how does it look at night?

I've seen some nicer looking clusters than GM's at night, but for daytime depends how the sun hits it. Although I'm one of those guys, if you like it enough, want it enough, get it, that's what America's based upon

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Supposedly they are plug/play ... 10 minute install. I too would like to know what they look like at night.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
To me they look out of place. But thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
mac has one... maybe he'll post a pic of his cadillac doooooolie.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I personaly luv the look and so do people who see my Escalade silver face cluster ..... Plug and play with the exception of wait to start light ..... Easily over came by drilling a small hole in the face .... Diesel on fuel gauge,also ,but if you need that reminder we're all in trouble .... I bought mine thru JP Customs a vendor here,he took care of the whole thing for me ... Simple to change record you mileage , on your next service date have the tech restore ....

Ca-dooley

Mac Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
It looks a lot better in the truck then just the IP laying there.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Hey Mackin, does the tach read off because the scale is different between deezel and gas clusters? Is the NR just a bezel/overlay or is it a complete cluster? Thanks.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Some time back, a Jeep came out with rectangular headlamps. Jeep owners rebeled against it with the slogan "Real Jeeps have round headlamps".

Similarly, "Real trucks have black instruments"

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
railbuff said:
Some time back, a Jeep came out with rectangular headlamps. Jeep owners rebeled against it with the slogan "Real Jeeps have round headlamps".

Similarly, "Real trucks have black instruments"

That was 1987 whne they dropped the cj and went to the yj..... They stayed square until the 1997 model year(tj).... So we have a full 10 years to have white faces and buck the system... Till it looks real bad...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think Makin's got it right. The silver faces with the chrome bevels off of the Escalade looks awesome. I found this kit to convert the existing cluster, but it's to convert and Escalade base cluster so I don't think it has everything you need to do the conversion from our clusters. I've got the added problem that I'd need it with KM/H on the outside
- not easy to find!

I contacted one of the ebay sellers and he said the conversion to a diesel cluster was as easy as swapping a chip on the back of the cluster and he'd supply the instructions with the purchase of a replacement cluster?

http://www.extremefactoryfx.com/catalog/silver_escalade_cluster_self_install_kit_2444821.htm

The link is supplied just as an example - Personaly I'd support the venders here before looking outside
Edited by: EnerMax

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Hey, if we all had the same tastes, we all would be driving identicle trucks!

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Max Power said:
Hey, if we all had the same tastes, we all would be driving identicle trucks!
Your right .....

You could just opt for the factory Escalde look also .... I chose silver to match my gauges ....

Everything works the same sept what I mentioned .... Red line what redline ?? I'll leave that up to the gov'nor ....Don't we all ??

Mac

·
Registered
946 Posts
How about the ones with blue flames. Plus are the rpm settings and all the dash lights that we have the same. I dont think so.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Hired Gun said:
How about the ones with blue flames. Plus are the rpm settings and all the dash lights that we have the same. I dont think so.
The one with the Blue Flames is a Over Lay .... I had the silver face on my stock cluster ..... It was nice but at night I did not like the bright blue lighting ....

Nu Image

Mac

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I changed my mind 20 times just like a woman ... just ordered a 2004 Escalade ESV Platinum Edition cluster ... think it will look nice in my white truck whereas before I was thinking of a white/silver cluster ... I think the white/silver faced clusters look great in dark colored truck ... in my white truck it may have been too much.

What do you think of this one? Still black like OEM but I really like the lettering and the chrome bezels around all the gauges, white needles, etc. I have no idea what it looks like at night ...but should look good.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Looks sweet !!!!! I sent you a reply to you PM .... Good luck ....
Man you gotta luv that look ....

Mac

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Mackin for the info on the glow plug indicator ... yes, I think I'll like the look ... if not ... eBay is a good friend.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think they look like crap. If I had a Denali, I'd change them to the regular one.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I stumbled ontot a pic of an aftermarket setup, looked awesome....( i'll look for it again in a second) the SS one looks awesome also....

but then again I'm into the look as well as the function so I like customizing stuff like that... as long as it's not overboard!Edited by: QuikSSilver

1 - 20 of 30 Posts