Diesel Place banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking at getting a suburban so I can tow my Jeep, and also have room for the kids. It will serve as a daily driver on a 30 mile one way commute, which is mostly highway speeds. I'm only looking at used, somehting in the $16-$20k range.

I've found 2 that look good to me. One is a '01 GMC Denali XL 1/2 ton w/ the 6.0L and 75k miles. The other is a 3/4 ton Suburban w/ the 8.1L and 45k miles. The 3/4 ton is $1000 more than the 1/2 ton Denali.

My gut is telling me the better choice is the 3/4 ton, but what do you guys think? Oh, and I'm towing a Jeep on a trailer, so 7k max is about all it will tow. 90% of its life will be carting me to work and back.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I would go for the 3/4 ton... The frame, suspension, brakes, etc. are much different... A lot more truck for only $1000....

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Agreed, I would go with the 3/4 ton 'Burb unless the options of the Denali are more of an interest to you then the options on the burb.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
I'd go with the 8.1 too; thats a bad-as* engine. My only issue would be the gas milage. With the 8.1, don't expect much more than 10...11MPG unloaded.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reineke;1604495; said:
Agreed, I would go with the 3/4 ton 'Burb unless the options of the Denali are more of an interest to you then the options on the burb.
The options and color are better on the Denali, plus I love the front end of the Denali. Main thing missing on the 'burb is the color (Denali is Black, 'burb is light pewter) and that the Denali has the overhead DVD (not a big deal) and the DIC (which I really really want). But I think the engine and 2500 upgrades are proabbly more important. From what I'm reading it sounds like the gas mileage won't be a whole lot different between them, so I might as well have more power for towing.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
schulte;1604513; said:
I'd go with the 8.1 too; thats a bad-as* engine. My only issue would be the gas milage. With the 8.1, don't expect much more than 10...11MPG unloaded.
and what are you expecting to get with the 6.0?? If you are towing you will be better off with the 8.1...and honestly if you can keep your foot out of it when driving around town I think you will find the 8.1 to have the same if not better unlaiden mpg...and without a doubt better mpg with a load...I had a 3/4 ton silverado extended cab long box with 315's....only got 9 mpg highway...go with the 8.1...more bang for your buck you won't be sorry

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot to add, the Denali is an '01, the 3/4 ton 'burb is an '03. I have no idea if there were any major changed in that time frame.

·
Registered
575 Posts
If the jeep/trailer is 5500 or less,you could easily get by with the 1/2 ton Denali.I have the 8.1,and love it,but it is thirsty.The 6.0 in a 1/2 ton should get 3mpg better than an 8.1 empty.I bet loaded they get the same mileage.The 6.0 is probably livelier empty.with lower 1st gearing,and much lighter,but only a 20hp less.If you have plan to tow heavier in the future,or your towing route is real hilly,the 2500 is the way to go.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
I just learned something, I didn't know you could get a 6.0 in a 1500 Denali....:eek: How often are you gonna tow the jeep? If you are going to tow alot, then the 2500 is the way to go, but the 1500 is gonna be way more comfortable on those 30 mile commutes....everyday! We have a 2500 Sub with the 6.0L and it rides purty rough (not rough like my dually, but rough)....but it's my wife's rig and she loves it.
JP

·
Registered
923 Posts
DJFriar;1604732; said:
I forgot to add, the Denali is an '01, the 3/4 ton 'burb is an '03. I have no idea if there were any major changed in that time frame.
Twice the truck (SUV) two years newer for only $1000 more, seems like a no brainer. I'm partial to the land yachts any way, my wife and I owned two at one time and loved them both.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
since fuel economy is about the same between the 2 motors get the 3/4 ton.

truckie481, i think your signature is funny because i'm irish haha. " The Lord created liquor to prevent the Irish from conquering the world! "

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
I've had several 5.3s a 6.0 and an 8.1. Big block is by far the best of them but it will get about 2mpg less than the 6.0 empty. The 6.0 will do fine hauling your jeep but the tongue load will be a tad more dicey. If you really like the Denali best for the features then get it, but it looks like you're paying alot of $ for 'em... GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have to agree with the other poster. We had a Tahoe it rode smooth but we traded that on the 2500 Sub w/6.0 and It's great for what its made for. but for run around town stuff the ride of the 1500 would be best. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
575 Posts
Heartbeat Hauler;1604934; said:
I just learned something, I didn't know you could get a 6.0 in a 1500 Denali....:eek: How often are you gonna tow the jeep? If you are going to tow alot, then the 2500 is the way to go, but the 1500 is gonna be way more comfortable on those 30 mile commutes....everyday! We have a 2500 Sub with the 6.0L and it rides purty rough (not rough like my dually, but rough)....but it's my wife's rig and she loves it.
JP

You can only get the 6.0 in upscale Yukon Denali's (325Hp),and the Escalade ext(345hp). Both come with the light duty 4L65E trans.They are quick trucks,and not to bad on fuel for the power they have.You cannot get the 6.0 in a chevy suburban or low level GMC's.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
You can get the 6.0 in the 2500 burb

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
John DiMartino;1606567; said:
You can only get the 6.0 in upscale Yukon Denali's (325Hp),and the Escalade ext(345hp). Both come with the light duty 4L65E trans.They are quick trucks,and not to bad on fuel for the power they have.You cannot get the 6.0 in a chevy suburban or low level GMC's.
WOW! Thanks for the info. That does sound like a good setup. I think I might go that route instead of the 2500 w/8.1....depending on towing frequency.

I think a 6.0 in a 1500 class SUV would make a good rig, but might be a little squirley towing with the short wheel base? I dunno, tough choice.
JP

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.