Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 6.6 with 95,000 miles.

I'm looking to buy a tuner and need some advice as to which one is best for my needs.

I'd like to be able to adjust to get better MPG when its just me and the truck driving around town.

I'd also like to adjust to get better performance when i need it.

I'm going to be making a 4,000 mile round trip towing a 5 to 6,000 lb boat and trailer

Should i worry about being able to check balance rates etc bearing in mind the milage on my motor (never had any injector probs yet)

Thanks for the input

Pete

·
Registered
295 Posts
It depends on how much you want to spend. I like the Hypertech for all around because you have 3 power levels up to I think 100hp and you can adjust for tire size. With my Hypertech on level 3 and my tire size adjusted to 285/70 I can cruise at 75 mph @ 2,000 rpm and get 22-23 mpg on long highway road trips. I bought mine on Ebay for $225.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Can the Hypertech check injector balance rates? Also what is the max tire size you can adjust for?

Thanks.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have the Hypertech also. While I don't travel the miles you do, I regulary haul about the same weight occasionally more. I haven't had any problems with the Hypertech. I have gotten as good as 22 MPG empty and average 14-16 MPG loaded depending on weight, I do have a M/T which helps some. The main reason I went with Hypertech is cost, and it is considered a "safe" tune. I know with the Edge you're not supposed to tow with it set above 3, I think. I also already had gauges and didn't need the attitude monitor. Check out this thread:
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70022

·
Registered
437 Posts
HD2Max,
No on the balance rates. I am not sure about the maximum tire size, but I know it will adjust for your 315's.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I really love my Diablo Predator. Not only does it have 4 tunes available, but it displays a lot of real time engine data. It has the fuel balance rates that you are talking about as well.

I bought mine on eBay for $200, which was a smokin deal! I think they average about $350 or so. Shop around, you may be able to find another "deal".

Oh, and one other thing to consider, do you want to be able to "tune on the fly" or are you OK with stopping, going through the flash process (about 5-10 minutes) and then going about your merry way. Personally, I prefer the flash tuners like the Diablo because there is absolutely no evidence and no box under the hood indicating you are "juiced". Might be important for warranty. Plus, to return to stock tune is about 5-10 minutes.

Not sure on max tire size, but I thought I remembered seeing a 37" tire as a choice. I have 285's and there is a setting for that.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thanks DnHolland...appreciate the info...I really like the the fact that it increased your fuel mileage.

Seems like the Diablo has a few more features that I may look at..thx Kendo.

Sorry if I hi-jacked this thread pete280 maybe some of this info will help us both.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Those mileage numbers seem a bit on the high side. Are those hand calc'd mileage numbers or what the DIC tells you? The DIC mileage numbers are off (even worse than when it's stock) after retuning it.

I've seen virtually no mileage change on the 2nd and 3rd setting on the Hypertech. Driving slower is about the only way I've seen an improvement and still haven't seen anything above 20.

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
I was getting a solid 19 out of my 04.5 LLY Hypertech tuned on level 3 for about 55,000 miles.

Hypertech is pretty much designed for towing, low EGT's and excellent fuel economy.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I don't have the DIC feature so all mine are hand calculated. The 22 MPG was all highway miles, and empty. On an average tank not pulling a trailer with a mix of highway and city driving I average probablly 17-19. I haven't run a full tank without pulling the trailer in a long time. As I mentioned earlier I think the biggest reason mine are higher is the 6-speed. My truck gets better fuel mileage than my wife's 04 Tahoe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts