Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm in need of a trans cooler for my 2005 Silverado Duramax Dually with 5 speed Allison. Towing my 5th wheel, I'm around 24k lbs combined and have seen the transmission temps go over 200 degrees on several occasions, mostly low speed and slight grades. Truck just turned 50k miles and I've probably changed the fluid and filter a half dozen times worried about cooking the fluid. I only use the Allison filters and Transynd fluid. There are two coolers that I've seen a lot of post on and wondering which is the better cooler between the PPE and Mishimoto? While the Mishi is a little more expensive, it appears to have more surface area. Going to order one this week since I have another trip in a couple weeks.
Thanks for any input...:confuzeld

·
Registered
46 Posts
I installed the mishimoto last fall. I have waited to post about it until I started back camping and towing in the heat. Empty the transmission temp would run 100 over ambient and towing I have seen it go to 120 over ambient. Since I installed the new cooler the temp runs ambient plus 60 so it dropped 40 degrees off of the temp and towing I run ambient plus 80. For me it was worth the expense.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the Mike L cooler and the PPE the same cooler? I thought I read that somewhere.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I installed the mishimoto last fall. I have waited to post about it until I started back camping and towing in the heat. Empty the transmission temp would run 100 over ambient and towing I have seen it go to 120 over ambient. Since I installed the new cooler the temp runs ambient plus 60 so it dropped 40 degrees off of the temp and towing I run ambient plus 80. For me it was worth the expense.
I have the Mishimoto trans cooler on my LLY and had similar results to what 68ss had above. It has been a significant difference over stock. Either way I'm not sure you can go wrong with either of the two you are looking at.

Good luck with whichever you choose.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
When I bought my Mike L trans cooler for my 6 speed in 2012-2013 Mike said the PPE was the same cooler manufactured by SETRAB for MIKE L and PPE the same cooler.
He was out of stock at the time I just waited until he got one back in stock.
It bolts up without to much alteration other than slight trimming on a cross over bracket.
Line fittings bolts up the same as stock, no redneck adapting to connect the trans lines.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello all. I'm in need of a trans cooler for my 2005 Silverado Duramax Dually with 5 speed Allison. Towing my 5th wheel, I'm around 24k lbs combined and have seen the transmission temps go over 200 degrees on several occasions, mostly low speed and slight grades. Truck just turned 50k miles and I've probably changed the fluid and filter a half dozen times worried about cooking the fluid. I only use the Allison filters and Transynd fluid. There are two coolers that I've seen a lot of post on and wondering which is the better cooler between the PPE and Mishimoto? While the Mishi is a little more expensive, it appears to have more surface area. Going to order one this week since I have another trip in a couple weeks.
Thanks for any input...:confuzeld
Hello all. I wound up purchasing the PPE/Mike L cooler and installed it today. I chose this one mainly due to using the stock line connections and was a little less $$$ than the Mishimoto. I also heard some complaining about the Mishi using inferior hose clamps and I definitely didn't want a line blowing off.
The PPE appears to be a quality piece and amazed in the difference in the size and weight as compared to the stock GM one. The install was pretty straight forward and fit was excellent. Looks like it belongs there. I took for a quick ride to check for leaks. The air temp was 82 degrees today and once warmed up it, the trans temp got to about 140 degrees. Being curious, I went back home and hooked up the 5th wheel and went on a 40 mile trip to see if the cooler made a difference. While a cool day, the tranny temp only got up to about 160-180 which appears to be a 10 to 20 degree improvement. I have a trip planned to the beach in the few weeks and hopefully the ambient temp will be hotter so I can really test it. I'll report back. Thanks again for all the input. :thumb:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello all. I wound up purchasing the PPE/Mike L cooler and installed it today. I chose this one mainly due to using the stock line connections and was a little less $$$ than the Mishimoto. I also heard some complaining about the Mishi using inferior hose clamps and I definitely didn't want a line blowing off.
The PPE appears to be a quality piece and amazed in the difference in the size and weight as compared to the stock GM one. The install was pretty straight forward and fit was excellent. Looks like it belongs there. I took for a quick ride to check for leaks. The air temp was 82 degrees today and once warmed up it, the trans temp got to about 140 degrees. Being curious, I went back home and hooked up the 5th wheel and went on a 40 mile trip to see if the cooler made a difference. While a cool day, the tranny temp only got up to about 160-180 which appears to be a 10 to 20 degree improvement. I have a trip planned to the beach in the few weeks and hopefully the ambient temp will be hotter so I can really test it. I'll report back. Thanks again for all the input. :thumb:
Well, I just returned from a trip to the beach on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. It's about 140 miles of mostly flat highway, 55-65 mph speed limits. Truck seems to run best at 65-70 mph. While I initially thought on my first test drive the cooler did improve my temps, it appears it did not. The ambient temp coming home was 95-96 degrees and the tranny temp stayed right at 200 degrees. While it never went over 200, I was hoping it would run a little cooler considering I was constantly moving and never in stop and go traffic. Maybe I have another issue? I'm wondering if dropping the pan, changing the internal filter, and adding a aftermarket pan would help? Anyone notice much difference when changing the internal filter and going with a deep pan?

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Anyone notice much difference when changing the internal filter and going with a deep pan?
If you haven serviced your trans for many miles, it might be a good idea to service it.

To be honest I did not notice any difference with lower trans temps like most claim.
Some had claimed as much as 20 degrees cooler with the PPE/Mike L trans cooler. :rolleyes::shake:
Remember the trans fluid flows thru the radiator heating it up to ECT, then thru the trans cooler back to the trans.
Most of these mods that people claim with magical improvements, I really believe because they fell for it spending $$$, they want others to do the same.
Trust me, I've been there and spent $$$ only to figure out the mods was for bragging rights only.

I did the transgo jr, deep pan which of course is a full service.

With having a deep pan having more fluid, I think its a good idea.
But once the trans temps get higher with having more fluid it takes a little longer to cool back down.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you haven serviced your trans for many miles, it might be a good idea to service it.

To be honest I did not notice any difference with lower trans temps like most claim.
Some had claimed as much as 20 degrees cooler with the PPE/Mike L trans cooler. :rolleyes::shake:
Remember the trans fluid flows thru the radiator heating it up to ECT, then thru the trans cooler back to the trans.
Most of these mods that people claim with magical improvements, I really believe because they fell for it spending $$$, they want others to do the same.
Trust me, I've been there and spent $$$ only to figure out the mods was for bragging rights only.

I did the transgo jr, deep pan which of course is a full service.

With having a deep pan having more fluid, I think its a good idea.
But once the trans temps get higher with having more fluid it takes a little longer to cool back down.

I just returned from a trip to Charleston. Outside air temp was 95 degrees and trans temp never got above 170.

DRC, our reasoning for saying the product works or not does not make sense. If it did not work I would have said that as well.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Back at you 68ss, if it was a WOW for me I wouldn’t have said what I did.
Your talking highway trips in 95 degree temps.
Just yesterday outside 98 little freeway/city 192-195, I was back home long before it hit 105.
I’m located in Phx where our normal temps during the summer range from 115-120 with very little humidity, ours is usually around 0% - 5%.

Stop and go city driving it’s normal for me to see 205, pretty much the same temps when I had the stock cooler.
If where your located has more humidity than we do then your temps will be a little lower.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Well, I just returned from a trip to the beach on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. It's about 140 miles of mostly flat highway, 55-65 mph speed limits. Truck seems to run best at 65-70 mph. While I initially thought on my first test drive the cooler did improve my temps, it appears it did not. The ambient temp coming home was 95-96 degrees and the tranny temp stayed right at 200 degrees. While it never went over 200, I was hoping it would run a little cooler considering I was constantly moving and never in stop and go traffic. Maybe I have another issue? I'm wondering if dropping the pan, changing the internal filter, and adding a aftermarket pan would help? Anyone notice much difference when changing the internal filter and going with a deep pan?

That makes sense considering you were hauling a load. The T-stats govern the minimum system operating temp of both ECT and trans fluid. Theoretically, if your ECT were 300F, that's exactly where your trans temp will be.

Being in the mid-atlantic, the Allison running too cold is more problematic. On a cold stretch before the engine warms to operating temp you probably notice your Ally flaring a bit during shifting and then goes away after the ECT heats the trans fluid. The ally has cold weather protection mode built into it by the way. In the fall I put a fitted piece of coroplast behind the grill just to assist in getting and keeping trans temp up to a reasonable operating temp.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts