Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new truck and wanted to know which Spray on Bedliner is the best. I am tired of the drop in liners. Anyone got any suggestions.

Thanks

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have line-x and love it. There have been posts on here before dealing with this topic. I think the Rhino is a little coarser than line-x but after having both, they both last. Here in TN, the rhino dealer won't remove bolts from handle, tie downs, etc they just spray over them. Line-x removes and replaces and also sprays the lower bed you can see when you open the tailgate and rhino doesn't do that either. That's why I went with Line-x this time. Good luck

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have the Rhino and love it. IMHO the Rhino is better for a work truck than Line-x. Line-x is better if appearence is a major concern. I also believe that the applicator is more important than the product. Rhino is warranted only by the dealer that applied it, so if you move your warranty dosen't move with you. I don't know about Lline-x's warranty.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I have Line-X and have been very happy with it. As a matter of fact, I had my Line-X done under-rail and when I had to pop my camper cap off for some body work recently I sprang another $150 to get my rails shot. I can't compare Rhino, as I've never owned a vehicle with that treatment, but I did examine some Rhino jobs before going Line-X. Line-X is a harder and thinner coat and VERY durable. I've never blemished mine in 2 years, but I've never really hauled any serious stuff, just your run-of-the-mill and occasional handyman junk. I personally don't like the thick and cushy feel of the Rhino beds that I've examined and the material seems more likely to be cut/torn than Line-X.

·
Registered
194 Posts
2004 GMC 3500 RHINO LINING

2002 GMC Sierra Denali LINE-X

Both awesome in quality and overall value. My one suggestion is to go to the place and look at how they actually put it down. I would suggest going to both a rhino and line-x dealer and see their prep and results. Good luck.... You can;t go wrong with either.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yeah it's kinda scary, took my dads truck to get it done when he bought it. Crazy watching them scratch up the paint on a 35K dollar truck eh? I was like uh oh no going back now.

Lenny

·
Registered
428 Posts
I had a line-x in my last truck and decided to try something new by going with permatech and i regret it. On a hot day you can almost peel the stuff off. I may one do just that and go back to line-x.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had the Rhino in a '99 GMC 2500 and was very happy with it. When I bought the '01 I'm driving now, I looked around again, and there were a couple new shops in town (Line-X and Permatech). The Rhino I knew about, the Line-X guy had his truck there with the full treatment and the Permatech shop had a truck they had finished a couple hours earlier sitting outside. The Rhino and Line-X shops did great work, but the Permatech looked terrible, with lots of drips. I was most impressed with the quality of the Line-X, which has a tensile strength of up to 2½ times that of the Rhino. You really can't go wrong with either, but the Line-X is a stronger material and carries a true nationwide warranty. Furthermore, I understand that if they ever do have to repair it, the Line-X repairs are much better due to it being a hot application. On the other hand, if there hadn't been a good Line-X installer nearby, I'd have been happy with the Rhino in my new truck too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've had three trucks with spray on linings. Two Rhino, one Line-X. The Line-X had a much better appearance initially and still does. Line-X is virtually ready for anything two hours after application whereas Rhino takes a much longer curing period. Rhino is easier on the bare knees and has better initial "stiction" though a year later both brands seem to be the same. Both require minor appearance maintenance. Line-X has a spray conditioner, Rhino had a 2 part wipe on conditioner that was great but now it too has a spray conditioner. In the future, I'll probably stick with Line-X only because of appearance.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the responses. I think I am going to get the Line-X next week.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It took me awhile to make the decision between Line-X and Rhino. The fact that Line-X claimed to be the only one with a Lifetime Warranty good at any of their dealers finally swung me over...

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have the Vortex, and after a few months in the sun it gets a dull look to it. On my next pickup it will be Line-X

·
Registered
349 Posts
If the prep is done like the manufacturer suggests and you have good dealer support, you cannot go wrong with anyone of them.

I have a SpeedLiner http://www.speedliner.com. Main reason is the dealer who does the install is well known for ATD. SpeedLiner has a tensile strength of 4,600 psi and a tear strength of 610 lbs/in compared to 2200 psi for comparable products. SpeedLiner can be made in any color, even two-tones or graphics and is color stable, and is a non-skid textured surface.

Speedliner® provides a thick textured rubber (90 shore A hardness) surface for application on metal, wood, fiberglass and prepainted metal surfaces. It offers easy mixing and simple application through a low cost gravity feed hopper gun. Speedliner® can be mixed with sand and or aluminum oxide grit additives to provide an aggressive nonskid surface. It can also be used with our Kevlar® fiber additive to improve cut and tear resistance. Speedliner® is packaged in convenient one gallon containers complete with 1 quart activator. Using standard automotive paint tints, it provides virtually unlimited color selection and graphic design capabilities. You may purchase Speedliner® in one of our 12 basic colors or use colorants from your local automotive paint store.

Speedliner® provides a tough 4600 psi tensile strength protective coating that can be applied in wet film thickness up to 1/4 inch without sagging. It can be used on truck beds, heavy equipment, marine or industrial applications. Speedliner® is a low V.O.C. content coating offering good UV and chemical resistance.

Spray-on bed liners offer a custom appearance unlike drop-in plastic truck bed liners. Many new car dealerships and truck accessory retailers have found Speedliner® to be a unique and profitable addition to their existing business. We provide on-site training, customer referrals, technical and promotional support to more than 1,800 Speedliner® dealers worldwide.

Speedliner® has been tested and approved in accordance with the United States Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard FMVSS 302 to provide an acceptable flammability and flame propagation rate for coatings applied to motor vehicles.

Click here for test results vs Rhino lining.

Other FAQ's

What type of warranty do you give?
Since the individual Speedliner Dealer warrants all work, warranties may vary. Most dealers will spot repair rips and tears to your liner at no extra charge for as long as you own your vehicle.

Do you offer colors?
We offer 16 factory colors: black, gray, charcoal gray, red, garnet red (metallic color), yellow, orange, indigo blue (metallic color), dark blue, medium blue, emerald green (metallic color), dark green, medium green, camouflage green, camouflage brown, and white. Click here to see our colors.

In addition to our 15 factory colors, we can also custom color match using automotive paint. Ask your dealer for details. Click here to find your dealer.

How thick is the bedliner?
Based on our fantastic strength, our recommended thickness is 90 mils or a little less that 1/8 of an inch; however, SPEEDLINER can be sprayed thicker for an additional charge.

What are the differences between SPEEDLINER and other brands?
Higher tensile and tear strength give us better protection. A SPEEDLINER is far less likely to rip or tear than our competitors. We also offer stronger UV protection from the sun’s harmful rays. That means SPEEDLINER holds its color better than the other guys and will not "chalk" over time like you often see with other products.

Can you do graphics?
With SPEEDLINER all types of graphic creations are possible. Click here to see some examples. Ask you nearest dealer to confirm their graph

·
Registered
58 Posts
BIGMoe said:
I have the Vortex, and after a few months in the sun it gets a dull look to it. On my next pickup it will be Line-X

I think probably all of the spray-in's do this after awhile. I've had my Line-X for about 5 months and it is a good bit duller than original (especially noticable when you compare it with under the rails where the sun doesn't shine). I have heard that Line-X offers a spray of some kind that will restore the original "lustre", but haven't checked into it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I also have Speedliner and have been completely satisfied. I went with that because my dealer offered it and it was included in the zero-interest package, as well as covered in my extended warranty (in addition to its own). Properly applied, I believe its as good as any of them.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Line-X

·
Registered
89 Posts
1990 Dakota Scorpion -- no good (too soft/tears easily)

1998 Ram Rhino -- held up so-so (tears easily)

2001 Dakota Quad Line-X -- Great (no problems)

2002 Chevy 2500HD Line-X -- Great (no problems)

2002 Ram 2500 (work truck) Line-X -- Great (no problems)

My vote goes to Line-X all the way!!

Just my $.02 -- Joe

Edited by: Joe Pool

·
Registered
234 Posts
I used a local shop. Diamond Coatings. Lifetime warranty that I used a couple of months ago. Very satisfied with the results. This shop does a lot of trucks in the Reno area.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts