Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions about adding a secondary fuel filter...

1. What are the differences between Kennedys setup, and Nictanes setup? Anyone care to say which is better?

2. Will they void the warranty if they find this? Any extra wear on the pump?

3. Do you have to drill holes in the frame for either kit?

4. Any issues with the filter causing problems with the rest of the fuel system (Ie loosing prime, air coming into fuel line, etc)

5. Anyone running a filter without a lift pump? Will I ever experience a problem without a pump?

6. Do both Kennedy and Nicktane use the same cat filter?

Thanks...Planning on keeping the truck for a while, and dont need the hassle/expense of having to deal with fuel system trouble...

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well I won't leave you spinnin in the wind,

#1. can't answer, havn't seen the kennedy in person. they both use quality filters

#2. havn't read of that happening on this list to my recollection.

#3. one hole.

#4. no problems w/ my nictane at all. installed the nictane, started it up and let it draw to the oem filter where truck will stall. purge system and you are road ready. did the oem after a few miles.

#5. my nicktane is pre-oem. i don't use one. no problems.

#6. don't know

#8. buy a nictane. support your sponsor

·
Registered
12,262 Posts

You didn't think I would miss out on all the fun, did ya ??

1. What are the differences between Kennedy's setup, and Nictanes setup? Anyone care to say which is better?

As far as ?? The only immediate difference that I see is mounting ....The Nicktane is bought and sold as a pre OEM set-up,but some have been creative .... The Mega can be mounted either but post OE is suggested ....

As I've recommended if there is a genuine concern that the dealership may bring hardship on you it would be best to check with them before altering stock system .... My dealership isn't that bad but I elected to go pre OE filter as additional personal precaution .....

With my Nicktane install, no holes were drilled in the frame using mounting bracket supplied with kit ....

4. Any issues with the filter causing problems with the rest of the fuel system (Ie loosing prime, air coming into fuel line, etc)

I haven't had any issues

5. Anyone running a filter without a lift pump? Will I ever experience a problem without a pump?

Sure there are lots that are ..... The only thing I can suggest is (I could be wrong here) is most individuals having air trapping issues have been post OE ...

I believe that is the case.....It is standard equipment with Nicktane and an alternative filter with the Mega ....

There are other systems also to consider also,Racor and Stranadyn (sp?) to name two ....

Good luck, other opinions will come forward hang tight .....

Mac

·
Registered
340 Posts
The CAT & RACOR post OEM installations beside the A/C pump are not having any real air problems either.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Manny,

You did not list the year of your DMAX in your signature. If it is a 2002 or later, then you most likely have a CAT and EGR system on the engine. With this set-up, it is very difficult to add a supplemental fuel filter system under the the airbox. The EGR components clutter up the area around the stock OEM filter. (It is not "impossible", just very difficult in routing all the fuel lines to the stock OEM filter.) My suggestion to you is to install whatever filter you buy in the Nicktane (fender well) position or the frame rail. The Nicktane system was designed for this location and comes with a bracket. The Kennedy system can be installed there, you just need to fabricate the bracket. This recommendation only applies if you have a 2002 or later DMAX with the CAT/EGR. If you have a 2001, ignore the above statements.

My opinion of course,

Alan

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I think as long as you decide to add one, they are all quality kits and will serve to help maintain your fuel system, I have installed about every kit out there , Mega, Cat, Nictane, Racor.. ...... ....

All have there pros and cons but none is bad enough where it shouldnt be considered, Parts avail may be an issue, but you can readily get the filters for all the major kits..

Me personally, I have a Mega kit, I sell the Racor also, I would sell a Nicktane too...

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you gentlemen...

The truck is an 02, w/o cat/egr. Bought out of CA.

Sounds like the nicktane is the easiest way to go. I dont want to have to put anything else in the engine compartment. Crowded in there to begin with.

How hard is the install? Are there any special tools required?

I installed my own pyro/boost gauges, and turn the wrehcnes a bit myself. Is this a no brainer?

Ill be sure to check with my dealer. I have never even been down there. Hope they are nice! I also hope Im not in trouble already with the banks and the gauges...(hidden predator...)

Thanks, sounds like it will be a nicktane for me...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
mannytranny said:
I have a few questions about adding a secondary fuel filter...

1. What are the differences between Kennedys setup, and Nictanes setup? Anyone care to say which is better?

Thanks...Planning on keeping the truck for a while, and dont need the hassle/expense of having to deal with fuel system trouble...

1. Location of mounting not to mention size of the filters. Mega (baldwin version) is a much larger filter and much, much easier to install. Nictane plumbing to the tank left me with scared wrists. My 6'4" frame under that truck was a sight to behold, especially when I got between the right frame and the muffler. Boy thats tight. Some have recommended to drop the drive line for more room. You need a quick disconnect tool for the nictane installation as well. Which is better? I believe they will both to the intended job.

2. Check with your local dealer. As for me, I did a pre-OEM install.

3. No holes in the frame for either the mega or the Nictane. Mega requires some holes to be drilled in the air cleaner mounting plate and the nictane requires a few holes to be drilled in the bed cross rails and one hole in the nictane's bracket as well.

4. I have had both. The mega can be routed both in pre and post OEM but with an EGR truck the fittings on the EDU are a real pain in the rear to access. I routed mine in the pre-OEM configuration. Only problem I had with the mega is the requirement to bleed the system about everyother tank fill up to prevent cold start stalls. On the nictane all I did is fill the filter up with diesel prior to initial startup of the truck and waited for it to die so I could bleed the system...it never died so after about 15 minutes I shut off the truck to bleed the air from the system only to find none.

5. In my case I would run a lift pump with the mega (the baldwin version-a great filter), and with the nictane...so far so good with no pump but the jury is still out on that one. I think the location is the determining factor on whether a lift pump is needed and thats just my opinion.

6. I believe so. If you want the bigger filtering (baldwin) then get the mega but bear in mind that you may need a lift pump and I stress may. My application required one but I didn't want to do it so I tried another approach.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks...

Im still worried about the warranty...Seems like pulling the fuel through an extra filter might wear on it.

Also sounds like installation might be a *****....

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Either filter would create some extra vacuum on the pump. JK has a calc on what extra vacuum is seen with his system. I think no more extra vacuum than the vacuum required between an empty tank of fuel and a full one. Just change your filters on time.

TDI? I've got 2 of them. A jetta wagon '02 and an '03 bug with automatics. Great little cars.

·
Registered
490 Posts
It is my understanding that the pump that pulls the fuel from the tank and through the filters is a gear type pump. The vacuum can be measured at the test port on the front of the engine.This pump then feeds the high pressure pump that supplies the fuel rail. Gear pumps are pretty reliable, not much can go wrong with them. If you change your filters on a regular basis, you should have no problems, unless you get a really bad tank of fuel. In that case the more filters the better!

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a pretty well thought out system.

Anyone else doing the gruop buy of the Nicktane filter?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Rumor has it that the suction side of the pump will suck a golf ball through a garden hose - unless the filters get plugged, should not be a problem. I've had a bad load of fuel, and all that happened was a surge in cruise. That said, when I rework my system, I will go with a lift pump.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One more question for you gentelmen...

Do I need to cut the fuel lines to hook this thing up? If I wanted to, could I turn it back to stock?

Thanks

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Mackin

Going to do the GB with HisDmax (Mike)

Im sure Ill be back with install questions...

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I called my "dealer" and had a chat with the service manager. The guy was an ass from the second he opened his mouth.

He says that GM dosent want anyone "messing around" with their system. A void of warranty is possible/probable if there is any trouble with the injectors from now on. Im at 15k, used PS diesel fuel service in almost every tank. He also said that he has never seen a problem with injectors if the filter is changed every 15k. Hes got a Duramax...

This worries me. Maybe Ill have to look for another dealer that might be more filter friendly. I didnt buy the truck from this dealer...

·
Registered
12,262 Posts

Well, that's to bad but don't be turned off or to concerned ....

I would look else where for sure .... Do a search here and you'll find that GM now recommends fuel filter be changed at 10000 mile intervals now ...

Myself personally would print and stop in and see the service manager face to face and ask for an explanation why he recommended @ 15000 ......

Then discuss PRE OEM filtering and IF the OEM is far superior to collect any injector harmful debris what is the concern ...

Then go find another servicing dealer cause this guy is an ass and does not deserve your business ....

Mac

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Interesting. I didnt know about the 10k thing.

I called the Chevy dealer (mine is a GMC) and had a talk with a tech. He was MUCH better. Diesel tech. He told me that they have had quite a few cases of injector failures. He also said that the techs really do not research the problem, they just fix it. He had heard of people installing fuel filters in the rails. He said they he did not know of how much good it would do, and that he cant have any part in it. Recomending, or installing.

He said that the new 04's have different injectors. I meant to ask if they were meant to go into an 02 year engine, but I forgot. I wonder if they will.

His basic explanation is that the high pressures are just wearing away (cavitation?) at the metal inside the injector. He also said that the metal might be substandard for the job, thus the change for 04. When I asked if dirt might be a big part of the problem, he said that he thought that could be the case.

So now Ive made friends with the diesel tech at the Chevy dealer, but they do not do warranty work on GMC's. Great...The next closest dealer is about 30 min away I believe...Dont know for sure, Ive never had to take it in for anything...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts