Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey There,

I am looking at running boards. Which are the most trouble-free in terms of rust, and not having to worry about them rusting? Are there any lighted ones, that will last for many many years, that would fit on a crew-cab 3500 SRW? Thanks for the help.

James

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Higher grade stainless will not rust but it will dull and needs polishing. Chrome will rust if it chips through to the steel. The best is Chrome plated stainless steel IMO.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I agree IMO

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
All Stainless is NOT alike...304 Stainless Steel will not rust or discolor in my experience. Had a 304 Stainless exhaust on a previous vehicle for 9 years and it looked new when sold...which is why I have 304 on this vehicle.
My running boards are 304 stainless from Luverne. Pics on My Garage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I prefer 304 SS over 430 grade SS. The 304 is about 40% higher in material costs. In salt scratch testing, both will resist rusting better than scratching chrome and testing.

Cleaning SS is very important when you get it new to clean out any grinding material associated with the manufacturing of the product it made. Lowe's carries good SS clearer in the grill area.

When cleaned it will resist tanning when in contact with any heat source.

Charman

1 - 5 of 5 Posts