Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do those of you pulling travel trailers (mine is 31ft total length) use the big truck pumps at places like Pilot or Flying J ?
Some of the places have accomodations for smaller trucks with trailers like mine but others do not. I try to avoid the big rig pumps (these guys have enough people getting in their way) but sometimes its just not easy to get into the auto diesel pump and I am tired of retards in Hondas blocking me in. :mad:
I am looking for some opinions on proper etiquette ?

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
120 Posts
I make use of the truck pumps every chance I get just for the same reason, getting blocked in! My TT is only 26' but trying to get around some yahoo is still a pain in the butt.

I have not run into any trucker that has given me a hard time yet about being in "their" pumps.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Keep in mind that our tanks are a lot smaller then big rig tanks. If I were in their shoes I would rather wait behind some with a travel trailer pumping 25 gallons then behind another rig pumping 50-100 gallons.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I always use the big rig pumps.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Big rig pumps are cool!!! Nothing like pumping 31 gallons in 2minutes flat!!!:grd:

·
Registered
612 Posts
when towing we stop at Flying J if at all possible and with an additional 98 gallon fuel tank in the bed of our truck we are usually able to make it possible :ro) ... we usually fill at Flying J's RV area but have stopped at the big rig areas a few times

Jim

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I've stopped at the big rig areas. One place I stopped (KY I think) didn't have diesel out front, no choice there.

Run the nozzle on the first click. Watch them, I had one nozzle that did not shut off. What a mess.

I find I generally have to go in to get the pump turned on.

When done, pull forward to clear the bay so the next guy in line can pull in and start to fuel while you go back in to pay.

I really like the windshield cleaning thingys out back. Long handles and no streach!

With a 04 up you should have no problems. I hear the earlier trucks have a smaller opening in the filler tube and won't accept the bigger nozzle.

Jim

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I really like the windshield cleaning thingys out back. Long handles and no streach!
Jim
I'd like to know what they use for fluid. 'bout take the hide and hair off ya. Makes short work of a summertime windshield full of bugs.

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
When pulling our TT (32' total) I always use the big rig pumps; rig drivers are relaxing and streching there legs anyways, there is more room to move and (as stated before) pumping 25 gallons on 1 min flat is way cool.

Without a trailer, I use the normal pumps.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I used to drive over the road and i never bothered me if there was a camper in the lane in front of me as long as you pull ahead to let the next guy fill while you pay

·
Registered
156 Posts
Mine also has the small opening, can you retrofit the newer fillers on the older trucks?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Keep in mind that our tanks are a lot smaller then big rig tanks. If I were in their shoes I would rather wait behind some with a travel trailer pumping 25 gallons then behind another rig pumping 50-100 gallons.

Speak for yourself...My truck holds 87 gallons...):h I like to use the trucker pumps because they have bigger nozzels and pump a lot faster.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I use the "big rig" pumps but the 60 gal / minute setting tends to make a mess on the side of the truck. :(

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
On the way to the San Juan (fly fishing) I stopped in Dulce N.M. to put fuel.Indian Res.=cheap fuel=EXTRA large fuel nozzle=big mess+10*temps+me starting to drink very early that day!:Nothing_f

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
They must have started to use the larger opening on the LLY, my LB7 has the small one. Sucks!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Um I have the large opening on mine.

dave

·
Registered
236 Posts
My 04 LB7 has a small opening also, needs to be changed.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The nozzle will fit in my opening but then it will stop about half way down. Then if i try and fil it with a big nozzle it will all flow out all over the place. Can i put the LLY filer neck in my LB7?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts