Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a programmer that will not just destroy the transmission, but still make decent power.

I like the Predator V2.02, but it seems that even the 85hp tune will tear up a stock Allison.

I've been reading on the PPE Standard Xcelerator and the economy. They say that they will defuel between shifts to protect the trans. This seems like a good idea, but does it make a 95hp tune safer than what the Predator 85hp tune is?

I do want a programmer, not a box. Are there any other ones I should consider? If they all tear up the trans the same, I will just go with the Predator.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
There is already defueling between shifts. Most of the programmers just defuel what they add between shifts. This sux pretty bad when you are looking for performance. Also it will help protect your trans but may not completely protect it. Read the blue line in my sig.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
PPE 95hp is rated at the fly wheel where as the 85hp pred. is rated at the wheels, so yes the PPE tune is less extreme on the tranny.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I'm looking to get a programmer that will not just destroy the transmission, but still make decent power.

I like the Predator V2.02, but it seems that even the 85hp tune will tear up a stock Allison.

I've been reading on the PPE Standard Xcelerator and the economy. They say that they will defuel between shifts to protect the trans. This seems like a good idea, but does it make a 95hp tune safer than what the Predator 85hp tune is?

I do want a programmer, not a box. Are there any other ones I should consider? If they all tear up the trans the same, I will just go with the Predator.

Thanks!
EVEN the 85hp tune? 85 is a lot for an otherwise stock truck. 85hp is playing with fire.

·
Registered
747 Posts
EVEN the 85hp tune? 85 is a lot for an otherwise stock truck. 85hp is playing with fire.
Guess you've never ridden with TxChristopher then. He's got the Quad set at 135hp. I got the pleasure of doing 2700 rpm boosted launches with him... over and over again w/o limping it once. He drives the truck this way everyday. He has clocked more than 20,000 hard miles so far too. Every stop light is a race to him.

·
Registered
747 Posts

Thanks!
I've got the economy version of the Xcelerator and love it. I had it at the 95hp stage and it didn't limp. Met Chris and now I'm at the 140hp level. Once you start you can't stop.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
The bottom line is adding any amount of power shortens the life of the powertrain. What causes the transmission to slip more from one tuner Vs another is the torque curvve produced by the tune. If one makes +100 Hp but does it at 3200 when another make +100 Ft/lbs at 2500 which one do you think will slip the transmission first?

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
The bottom line is adding any amount of power shortens the life of the powertrain. What causes the transmission to slip more from one tuner Vs another is the torque curvve produced by the tune. If one makes +100 Hp but does it at 3200 when another make +100 Ft/lbs at 2500 which one do you think will slip the transmission first?
:exactly:

Move that power up a little and you can get away with soooo much more.

You think when I am getting ready to spank that 5.0 in the next lane that I want a crapload of torque at 1800rpm or a bucketfull of horsepower over 2700rpm? Where am I fixing to be spending the most time? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
747 Posts
:exactly:

Move that power up a little and you can get away with soooo much more.

You think when I am getting ready to spank that 5.0 in the next lane that I want a crapload of torque at 1800rpm or a bucketfull of horsepower over 2700rpm? Where am I fixing to be spending the most time? :rolleyes:

At least know I'll know how much I need to tense my neck up when I launch my truck!!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
agree with tx. I only limped mine when I had 10k behind me and I tried to hotrod it up a hill @75 in level 6. Otherwise no problems. I do know I will wear the tranny out sooner than later though. Then lucky me, when it gives up, I live in SoCal, Mike L is just a day trip for me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Pardon my n00b Allison question...

How much of a tranny upgrade are you guys talking to handle the power of...say...a Juice with Attitude? Are you talking just a shift kit, or a solenoid kit from something like Bully Dog?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I ran our upgrades in the transmission for over 100 + 1/4 mile runs, towed well over rated max weight for thousands of miles and in general beat the crap out of it for over 20,000 miles and never had a problem at +250RwHp. When we sold the truck it was torn down for an inspection and everything was put back in as it was fine.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks for the tips. Im not new to performance. I know you have to pay to play, but I am just wondering if some programmers are "smarter" than others. Ive had a low 14 second F350 7.3L powerstroke before this truck along with an 11 second 1997 camaro, 04 GTO and 99 AMG Mercedes, so I really need something to satisfy my itch.

I dont want to go to heavy into the mods until it is paid off, but I need something to play with.

Does the PPE move the power up in the RPM range vs. the low end of the Predator?

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
I can't say about the PPE, and I am sure its a quality product.

But I can tell you for sure that with NOTHING but the Quad Stealth 135hp tune you can pop off 5.7sec 0-60's and 14.20 quarters all day long with high boost 4x4 launches. Coming up on two years now and I am pleased with that purchase.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I would suggest the Hypertech.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
get what ever one you ant but just keep the power down on it witht the stock trans

·
Registered
747 Posts
Yeah, the website isn't right. The older Stealth was only 110hp, I sent mine in and got an update which includes the 135hp tune on the LLY.

Supposed to be rwhp figures, and it acts every bit like it.

Yes, stock tranny.

Indeed it does.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts