Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me, I am a newbee to the Duramax sceen. I have a 34 foot Motorhome on the back of a Kodiak 5500 chassis with the '05 Duramax. This is my first Chevy Diesel so I was wondering what the Chevy gods thought was the best performance mileage programmer / chip for heavy loads (26,000 GVWR without a trailer). I am probably stuck with stock 3.5" exhaust and not looking for an additional 150HP, just mild performance gains and maybe a little better mileage under load. The only programmer I have seen mentioned in my brief scan is the Edge. I have run the gammit with my Powerstroke trucks but this seems to be a new game according to my usual diesel place.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Forgive me, I am a newbee to the Duramax sceen. I have a 34 foot Motorhome on the back of a Kodiak 5500 chassis with the '05 Duramax. This is my first Chevy Diesel so I was wondering what the Chevy gods thought was the best performance mileage programmer / chip for heavy loads (26,000 GVWR without a trailer). I am probably stuck with stock 3.5" exhaust and not looking for an additional 150HP, just mild performance gains and maybe a little better mileage under load. The only programmer I have seen mentioned in my brief scan is the Edge. I have run the gammit with my Powerstroke trucks but this seems to be a new game according to my usual diesel place.
No "Chevy God" here... but... I tow 14k (21k GCW) and the Edge EZ has worked well for me so far. It's basically an Edge Juice, with just the first 3 levels, and no option to attach an Attitude monitor-- thus it costs significant less than the Juice/Attitude-- mine was about $350. It's targetted towards people who want a little more oomph when towing (you can't have that much more anyway when towing), and... a little more oomph when solo too. Like the Juice, it does have a backdown feature if tranny slippage is detected, which is.... good, but by that time a little damage has already been done.

For me, it's always in level 3 when solo (+65HP), and level 2 when towing (+50HP). Does the 5500 have the Allison 1000 series transmission, or a larger Allison? With 26k on the 1000 series, you'd probably want to keep an EZ in level 1 (+30HP)-- which is what they suggest anyway, but if you have a bigger tranny, maybe level 2 or 3 would work for you-- that would be a question for the tech's at Edge. I'd strongly suggestion you give them a call and talk to them. Maybe others with medium duty trucks (chipped) will chime in here. --Paul.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Just a thought... You may want to open another thread, and copy/paste the same info, but change the Title to: "Chip for towing w/MEDIUM DUTY truck?" This will draw the attention of those having MD trucks. --Paul.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I talked to Edge but it seemed like they were pushing me towards the Juice with attitude and that seemed like a nice devide but I wouldn;t be able to use the upper settings as you stated. I may just stick with simpler stuff like ditching the CAT and changing out to a free flow muffler. APpreciate your response, I just found the medium duty page so I might try that as well.

·
Registered
127 Posts
There's lots of info here do a search and you will find what your looking for. The best thing I did was the Boost stick and EGR blocker kit from Kennedy Diesel. Fingers/kennedy did a great job with this. The last thing I would do before I buy a programmer would be to get a complete 4" (cat delete) exhaust kit (with EGT and BOOST gauges).

Shawn

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
The Predator V2.02's tow tune (40hp) works great and according to Diablosport, you can use that setting all the way up to the manufacturer's GCVW. Towing that kind of weight, I'd get a Pyrometer installed just to be safe. When; I read your post about Edge, it sounded like they were just interested in selling you their higher end product (more profit). Predator runs a little less than $400 from several vendors on this forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts