• Other in Summer (please state which)

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Which oil is better in a colder climate like in Iowa during the winter at about 0 degrees F. to a warmer climate at about 50-70 degrees F. maybe a little more. I live in Iowa and wanted to know which oil is better when.

·
Registered
42,913 Posts
I use Mobil Delvac all year.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Synthetic Rotella year round 5W40

·
Registered
514 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
I use chevron delo 400 15w-40 all year around, does a great job and still is clean at 5000 mile intervals

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
Do you tow a lot? IMO I wouldn't run syn. unless you do the cost out weights the benefits. We run Chevron Delo in all our diesels at work and at home, I spent several years in WI and NE cold was no problem.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I use Ams/Oil Series 3000 5w-30 all year round in both my Duramax and my wife's Jetta TDI

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I use Valvoline 15-40 year round.......but sometimes it dips into the 20's where I live.....sometimes

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I use Ams/Oil Series 3000 5w-30 all year round in both my Duramax and my wife's Jetta TDI
Same here with a bypass filter. Either a filtrations solutions FS2500 or Amsoil bypass. Everything except my 1975 ford backhoe. I run anything in that. It doesn't use much oil but whenever I end up with odd quarts I save them for the backhoe. Otherwise it's 5w30 Amsoil in everything.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I only tow in the spring and fall when it is time to put in 2 jetskis and then take them back out. So basically towing nothing as far as heavy hauling.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Synthetic ALL the time!

·
Registered
5,861 Posts

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I'm with Dozerboy.Unless your pulling ungodly amounts of weight{some pickup owners should get heavier GVW rides from what they say they pull} and/or plan on keeping their trucks almost forever,you don't need synthetic.Rotella T in all my off-road iron and trucks--Never had a problem yet,probably never will.Must be an excavating thing.:exactly: :exactly:

·
Registered
490 Posts
I use Ams/Oil Series 15-40 all year

·
Registered
43 Posts
Oil is only good for a certain temp range. Read the labels for exact temp designations.
Basically the lower the weight Oil the better the cold temp properties (ie. 0W being the best up to 15W) This is the first number of the two.
The second number refers to the ceiling or high temp limit. A 40 being rated for higher temps than a 30.

I live in northern Canada...I run 0W30 in winter (-45 to 32 F) and 5W40 or 15W40 in summer (32F- 90 F)

I believe synthetic resists thermal degradation better (severe applications)and one can go a little longer between changes but dino oil will provide adequate protection if used within the proper temp guidelines and is changed more frequently.

Cost is a big factor.......

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
everything on the farm gets chevron delo 400 since I was born. used to use 100 in the gassers but not any more. always used 30wt until that duramax showed up. now 15/40 very mild climate here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts