Diesel Place banner

Which lawn tractor do you think is the best allaround?

• Crafsman

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • John Deere

Votes: 42 97.7%
  • Husqvarna

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Troy Bilt

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new lawn tractor and I know there are those that are comercial grade, but for the rookie in this area and for ease of warranty work which one of these (or any other ideas are welcome) do you think would be best for grass, snow removal, etc...
Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
MTD, decent machine for a decent price.....Craftsman.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Of the brands up top I'd say Deere. Craftsman are just over priced IMO, Troy built makes nice stuff, but I'd worry about parts availability. Husky...I dunno, never seen one. I put a Murray 18 HP garden tractor through hell and back for 8 years in Alaska. Mowed and hauled all summer, and ran a snow blower all winter. Paid 1600 new, and sold it for 1000 when I left, still ran like a top. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Murray in the future.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
John Deere tractors, X-Mark mowers!!! Our X-Mark 0 turn mower is the only piece of equipment we own that isn't John Deere *besides Kinze grain carts...Great mowers

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have to stay true too my roots. I own and operate a 04 JD 210LE and 97JD 310SE. Far from a lawnmower but if John Deere puts in a fraction of the effort into building a lawnmower as they put into building heavy equipment you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Like I mentioned in another post, go with a commerical zero-turn if there's any way you can afford it. Once you run a hydrostatic z-turn for about 5 minutes you'll never want to go back to a conventional again.

I run a Grasshopper 952D for my business, and it accepts damn near every attachment known to man--PTO snowblower, blade, power sweeper, vacuum, etc.

I'd personally stay away from Husky lawn stuff--they're not really made by Husky and are generally really cheap. Many parts are interchangeable with MTD, so I suspect MTD actually makes them and Husky slaps stickers on them.

Exmark, Grasshopper, John Deere Commerical, and Gravely are some good brands to consider.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
No Simplicity??? :D

If you are set on choosing between those 4, I would not go with a Troy Bilt or Craftsman...you'll be buying a new one 4 years down the road.

If you want ease of warentee work...do yourself a favor and buy from a local dealer! You wont be happy if you buy from a big-box store ;)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
If you want ease of warentee work...do yourself a favor and buy from a local dealer! You wont be happy if you buy from a big-box store ;)
Exactly right. You also didn't give us a budget to consider. JD from the box store isn't the same as a JD dealer mower and most of the dealers WILL NOT do any warranty work on the box store line. Cub Cadet makes a decent mower IF you get into their larger series of garden tractors.

Zero turns are the cat's ___ but not the one's from the box store either.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Exactly right on the warentee thing...

We sell Simplicity's so we dont have to deal with warentee work from big box stores (Simplicity is dealer exclusive) but our other main product line is Echo, which IS sold in big box stores. If someone comes in with a broken weed wacker "hi yeah I got my Echo weed wacker at Wal Mart and now it wont start, can you people fix it?" 9 times out of 10, we refuse to do work on it...

or, the best line of all, where people try to get around the whole dealer issue, they call and say "Hi I have a problem with my Briggs&Stratton lawn mower, can you fix it?" (totally side-stepping the issue that its a Craftsman or something that we will not work on ):h )

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Like I mentioned in another post, go with a commerical zero-turn if there's any way you can afford it. Once you run a hydrostatic z-turn for about 5 minutes you'll never want to go back to a conventional again.

I run a Grasshopper 952D for my business, and it accepts damn near every attachment known to man--PTO snowblower, blade, power sweeper, vacuum, etc.

I'd personally stay away from Husky lawn stuff--they're not really made by Husky and are generally really cheap. Many parts are interchangeable with MTD, so I suspect MTD actually makes them and Husky slaps stickers on them.

Exmark, Grasshopper, John Deere Commerical, and Gravely are some good brands to consider.
Ah what do you know.....:D

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
We sell Simplicity's so we dont have to deal with warentee work from big box stores (Simplicity is dealer exclusive)
Hey, where are they hiding the DIESEL powered stuff on their website? Everything I saw was :mad: gas. :D

·
Registered
737 Posts
Just last year I went to a place in Missouri that sells Yanmar. It's a JD without the green paint. This guy will sell you a tractor, implements and a 16' trailer to bring it home on for around $5k. The tractors are rebuilt but we have had to do that before with our 46 IH.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Hey, where are they hiding the DIESEL powered stuff on their website? Everything I saw was :mad: gas. :D
Its there!!

You can get the Simplicity Legacy 4x4 with a sweet little 27hp inline-3 cylinder liquid cooled Briggs&Stratton (manufactured by Daihatsu, same thing as the GM/Isuzu deal) direct injection diesel!!!!

Awesome little engine. Customer bought one last year with the works...front end loader, 60" deck, rear PTO, 3 pt hitch...

I got to do PDI on it and test drive it!:D Sounds awesome, smooth, quiet little diesel!

Ben

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry for the lack of information. I am planning on spending no more than $3000 for tractor and parts.
We just sold our house and are getting a house on 2 1/8 acre's that has close to 1 acre of lawn. Not to big for some of you down there but my 14 year old son may get very tired and give me a hard time when it comes time to do the lawn with our Honda push cutter.
Thanks for all of the ideas.
I am leaning towards the John Deere, but what is the difference between the big store tractor's versus the local dealer tractor's? Is it just a loyalty thing to give local buisness or do they actually get different versions of tractors?
Also, what difference does it make if you have a John deere bought from a one store and take it to another dealer that sells John Deere for warranty work? We all take our trucks to different dealers to get the right service don't we. Warranty work should be covered no matter where you go as long as it is the same brand there.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Husky's are made by MTD as well as Murray and Craftsman and Yardman...ect. I have an 11 year old Craftsman that I can buy parts for still at tractor supply company for a decent price. When I worked at a TSC, part of my job was to drive the mowers in and out everyday. They say some severe abuse and kept on ticking. My favorite was the cheapest you can buy. 14hp 3x" deck 7 speed. That thing would fly. They may require a more frequent maintenance schedule than something nicer, but an MTD mows my lawn.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Dixie Chopper with the 50hp Yanmar Diesel :D

It will knock that 1 acre yard out in about 15-20 mins.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I am leaning towards the John Deere, but what is the difference between the big store tractor's versus the local dealer tractor's? Is it just a loyalty thing to give local buisness or do they actually get different versions of tractors?
Also, what difference does it make if you have a John deere bought from a one store and take it to another dealer that sells John Deere for warranty work? We all take our trucks to different dealers to get the right service don't we. Warranty work should be covered no matter where you go as long as it is the same brand there.
The John Deere's that you buy from Home Depot are rebadged MTD tractors with green paint. Look at one of these mowers then go to your local JD dealer and look at a 200 series or higher lawn tractor and the difference will be apparent. I have a 12 year old 320 that I use to cut just under an acre. It's way more tractor than I need for the job, but it will last forever as long as I keep the oil and coolant in the engine. Since you are on a budget, I would look at a late model used mower. $3000 sounds like a lot of money until you walk into the dealership.
As for the warranty deal, it's an "agreement" between Deere and the big box retailers. You have to take the tractor back to Home Depot or wherever you bought it for warranty work. They send it to the local dealer for the warranty service. I've yet to hear of any dealers who are thrilled with this arrangement.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Kubota, One of the best ones out there, along with some of the others mentioned such as exmark, grasshopper. Kubota diesels seem to run forever. we have had very good luck with them over 1000hrs. The new cub cadets are junk. Even the ones from the case IH dealers. I used to work as a mechanic at a dealer. We called them Cub Cajunk.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
400 series Deere is tough to beat but expensive. Are you buying new?

My 455 Deere (diesel) hasn't required anything but fluid and filter changes along with a bettey in like 9 years of service.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts