Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I opened up my ECM today to install the BD Power chip that I got a week ago and found out that there is a Hyper Tech #124893 chip installed already. I was not aware of this. Which would be the better chip to go with. I really couldn't find any information on the hypertech website to give me some numbers on what this chip will do. Anyone want to give their opinion and reasons for doing so?

Thanks guys,

D'Wayne

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have heard of people having quite high EGTs with the hypertech chip. I was impressed with my BD chip in my 94 if that helps. Do you have gauges yet?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No not yet. Hopefully in about a week. I haven't really noticed any serious issues yet, but am just using as daily driver. Only thing heavy I will haul is my 24' RV this spring and fall.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, just tried out the BD chip. I honestly can't tell any seat of the pants difference. The biggest difference I got yesterday was installing an open conical breather. I highly recommend that lil change and only cost me $24. Can see my pics under posting of Fat-Bottomed Girl. By the way. Anyone interested in a BD Power Chip? I don't need two chips, just gonna use the hypertech that was in the truck to begin with. Maybe anyone got some Boost and EGT gauges they wanna trade???

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I'm going to be looking for something like this how many $$$$

·
Registered
352 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Open conical breather is probably the wrong term. Just simply an open air element instead of the air filter in the box. You can see my pics if you look under the Fat Bottomed Girl posting. As for the chip, make me a reasonable offer. If you want to see the paper work to it and get the number from it I think I still have pics of them, that way you can make sure it will work for you. The paper work says will work with all 1994-1995 6.5 TD's.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
As for the chip, make me a reasonable offer. If you want to see the paper work to it and get the number from it I think I still have pics of them, that way you can make sure it will work for you. The paper work says will work with all 1994-1995 6.5 TD's.
if nick dosent want it id be interested youd be better off to set a price or your gonna get beat up on the price

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, don't know why I said that, I hate pricing someone elses stuff myself.

A new one from BD Power web site is $369 US. I am going to ask $150.00 I do know it works, I checked it out about 4 hours ago in my own truck. PM me if you are interested. I may post this in a seperate post.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Hey Nick if we each put in $75 we can share it ..:lol:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hears a view of the paper work and the chips. Hypertech is installed in the ECM.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you are seriously considering selling it for $150, i could paypal you the money for it right now. PM me if you are going to sell it, i will gladly take it off your hands.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Check your PM's

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chip has been sold.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
124893 is the correct chip for a 94 3500 5 speed with modified exhaust. But be forewarned, my hypertech cost me headgaskets from 1300+ EGT's. The hypertech is a super hot chip as far as EGT's go, 1300 was nothing to hit empty in mine. That is the reason I warrantied it and got my money back on it. GET GUAGES IF YOUR GOING TO RUN THE HYPERTECH, you will most likely be shocked when you see the EGT's that your running.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I may already be set up for a disaster as I have no idea how long that chip has been in the truck without gauges. Hopefully I will have my gauges installed in a week or two. If it is that bad, then what would your suggestion be on another style of chip, or should I go back OEM??

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
I would go with a KENNEDY or a WESTERS myself, wish I would have before I tried the HYPERTECH. Now I'm running stock on mine, the HYPERTECH left a bad taste in my mouth for chips. But nothing against the guys out there doing quality chips, but some companies got to froggy with there timing and fuel rates and caused 6.5 failures. GOOD PROGRAMMING WILL HELP, BAD WILL BLOW IT:eek:. And mine isn't the only 6.5 that a hypertech got, talked to others with cracked blocks from them and broken cranks. BANKS used to sell HYPERTECH, but one of there tech guys said they quit selling them after about a year because of engine problems and poor driveability. Get guages on it, that is pretty much all you can do.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I appreciate the update on that. Guess I might as well find out how much a stock chip will cost me, as I don't have one.

·
Registered
275 Posts
dwayne 001
I had a BD chip and changed to a Heath, Max-E-Tork 2.0 because of the HP and torque that I was getting out of the BD. You might want to take a look at the Heath site and Max-E-Tork 2.0 before you go back to stock. The heath chip runs cooler egt's than the BD did for me.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts