Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I know my injectors are overdue for replacement (thanks guys) the question becomes which is the best injector for the 6.5 and where do i get them?

I understand Bosch makes one that will add 25 hp for ~780.00, Delco's are 520 and some reman's go for 350.

Your thoughts please

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Injectors do not add HP, dont' waste your money.

Delco doesn't make 6.5 injectors.

NAPA sells new and reman at pretty good prices.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tex.
This is not the first time people on this site know more than the people behind the counter. The "regular" Bosch injectors costs $693 cdn and the "high flow" cost $900 cdn and claim to add 25 hp. You can see for yourself on pg 13 of their price sheet if you go to the vendor's section.

I'll check out the NAPA store today
Thanks

·
Registered
382 Posts
I rolled the dice and bought a set of "marine" injectors from pumpguy246 on ebay. They showed up in just a couple of days.
I took one down to a local fuel shop and had them dissemble it and it did have new os311 nozzle. And the pressure was 2176 or something like that.They have all bosch markings and correct #'s
his prices have gone up a little since i bought mine (i paid 300 w/shipping)
i think he bumped them to 335 or 350 now.
Unless i got the only good set i would reccommend them to anyone
I also bought a reman pump (ds4 5211) for 455 no core but it has used but good optical and pmd. havent tried it but it was too cheap to pass up well see if it workes out.
I sent messages to 6 or 7 people that had purchased them allready and all but 1 had been installed and they all had no complaints.
He told one cust that he had just started out on his own and the prices will be increasing once he establishes a good customer base and reputation.Still may be junk but so far everything checks out. For me the prices were def. right time will tell if i got burned. (wouldnt be the 1st time and surely wont be the last)lol

·
Registered
382 Posts
TDG, How does adding more fuel not add any hp ?
I would not expect 40 horse but i would think with my tm and reflash
20-30 should be attainable.I agree with several others that injectors should only be needed with other mods done 1st but a blanket statement like that makes no sence to me.By reading several of your posts i can see your no dummy but how can so many people besides you be completely wrong?

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Pump only supplies so much fuel whether you have a needle for an injector or a fire hose

·
Registered
382 Posts
Even if they supply no more fuel ( im not sold on this,but ive been wrong before) just dumping the same amount in to the cylinder vs a fine mist (because of the higher presure) will not make a more efficient and more powerful combustion ?
Im no expert (hard to tell huh) but when every respectable builder that normally has diff ideas about everything agree and reccommend something i will tend to believe them.
My truck was due for some anyway so i may have chosen wrong but they seem to work fine for me. Did they add 40 hp probably not but even if they did in my heavy truck i doubt id be able to tell anyway.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
How about some pics of your air to water IC?

·
Registered
382 Posts
ill get some. no digital camera yet. havent replaced the broken one yet.

so am i wrong on the inj or what ?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Injection pumps work on positive displacement, not pressure.

So if you had 4 'marine' injectors and 4 stock injectors on one pump, and collected the fuel rather than sending it to the engine, you would see that the fuel delivered would be very close.

Injectors do make a slight difference yes, but changing opening pressure, nozzles, springs etc. will change the injectors overall performance from factory specifications and the results may be less than desireable. Higher opening pressures will give better chatter at high delivery rates, but cause late timing especially at low engine speeds. It's a trade off, you might gain 5hp, but you have to decide for yourself if its worth the money. Besides, if your injectors are really shot, you'll probably gain 5-10Hp anyway, so it might 'feel' like 10-15 if you bought a 'performance' set and it might make you 'feel' that you got your money's worth.

The most common complaints I hear about from guys who bought 'marine' injectors are no noticeable power gain, reduced idle quality and harder starting.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Just wondering what difference there is between turbo and non-turbo injectors?I had a 6.5 NA and got up to 28 MPG.My turbo truck with winter diesel I get 20MPG.Turbo Computer is the same as my NA truck.Trying to figure out why the NA trucks get better mileage.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Just wondering what difference there is between turbo and non-turbo injectors?I had a 6.5 NA and got up to 28 MPG.My turbo truck with winter diesel I get 20MPG.Turbo Computer is the same as my NA truck.Trying to figure out why the NA trucks get better mileage.
Most naturally aspirated engines get better fuel economy. Why? There is no restriction in the exhaust > No Turbo. Turbo slows down the exhaust under cruise conditions and actually prevents the engine from expelling all the exhaust. Naturally aspirated engines breath better under light cruise.

Under load it's a whole different program. Hope this helps explain the difference, I am sure some more learn'ed people here will disagree.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
I'm definitely NOT more learned but I do agree. One other thing DP, with a turbo more air will also bring in more fuel if you're getting more power. If they're just getting more air (turbo vs. NA) then there is no extra power. So that would be another reason a turbo would do worse on fuel.

·
Registered
433 Posts
So if I was to remove turbo and make my truck Naturally aspirated,mileage would go up?Has anyone done this?My previous N.A truck had decent power.I expected my turbo truck to have alot more.It doesn't.One advantage to a turbo is the exhaust is cleaner.Little to no smoke compared to a N.A.truck.What would I do with the A.I.T,baro,boost sensor wiring to make the turbo truck N.A?Are the turbo and non-turbo injectors the same?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been to several sources that say the marine injector will add HP. Not so much by adding more fuel but by increasing the "pop" pressure and thereby creating a finer spray and better combustion.

The question now becomes what effect will the higher pop pressure do to the IP???

Also of note is that SS diesel supply will provide them for $225 usd cheaper than BD. It pays to shop around.
Thanks to all

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
The question now becomes what effect will the higher pop pressure do to the IP???
iirc someone said it will slightly retard your timing. IMO how can asking a pump to put out more pressure help its longevity?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts