Diesel Place banner

Keep the gray 2003 8.1/3.73 or the 2004 Quadrasteer?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I cleaned up the undercarriage to try and figure out where this oil leak is coming from. It looks like the oil pan gasket is leaking. However, it doesn't make sense that this much oil is leaking from this spot. Does the oil in the oil pan sit higher than the line of the gasket, specifically here on the rear arch? I would think the standing oil level would always sit below the gasket so as to not worry about a small leak when the engine isn't running.

Automotive exterior Wood Gas Tints and shades Bumper

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
I started working on the Quadrasteer and just about done. All new heater hoses and tees, radiator, upper and lower radiator hoses, coolant tank, thermostat, belts, tensioners and a new set of BFG KO2s. I turned up the torsion bars as well to level out the stance. Took it for a test drive and the starter gear was flopping around and hitting the flywheel on acceleration. Got a Ac Delco reman on its way. She'll definitely need an alignment but I'm close to having my apples to apples comparison drives.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car

· Registered
403 Posts
I cleaned up the undercarriage to try and figure out where this oil leak is coming from. It looks like the oil pan gasket is leaking. However, it doesn't make sense that this much oil is leaking from this spot. Does the oil in the oil pan sit higher than the line of the gasket, specifically here on the rear arch? I would think the standing oil level would always sit below the gasket so as to not worry about a small leak when the engine isn't running.

View attachment 647996
What did you learn here? I think I have the same issue on my 8.1L and am curious about your experience.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I had my buddy change out the oil pan gasket and I'm now leak free and running strong. He ended up dropping the front diff completely out of the truck to do the job. He also swapped out the oil pressure sender and that dumb thing lasted all of 2 weeks before pegging at 80 and staying there. Totally annoying spending the money for an OEM part just to have it fail like this.

On the QS side I just changed out the rear hubs and that thing no longer howls going down the road. I think I got 2 of the last 3 AC Delco QS hubs out there from Rockauto. I almost want to buy the last one just so I have a spare.

Here's a couple pics. That Dana 60 axle shaft is ridiculous. 1 1/2 inches.

Photograph Automotive tire White Light Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle brake Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Gas

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
BTW, after now driving both Suburbans for a while the 8.1 is noticeably quieter. It's almost like it's not even trying to move the truck whereas the 6.0 really starts to sound angry when I push it. I still haven't towed anything substantial with either yet. I need to find/borrow a trailer I can load up or a car hauler to really put these trucks through their paces.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I finally towed something substantial. My in laws brought their 7000 pound 30 ft travel trailer up for the weekend so we hooked up both Suburbans back to back and there was no noticeible difference in steering or handling. The 8.1 was clearly quieter and working less hard to maintain speeds on hills and the engine was barely audible on the flats. I've finally decided to sell the 6.0 Quadrasteer and keep the 8.1. The Quadrasteer is great driving around town and parking but that's not what I wanted a 2500 Suburban for. I'm glad that phase is over so I can focus on up fitting the 8.1, new leather, backup camera, overhead DVD player, new head unit, etc. Of course I now need to clean up the Quadrasteer and get it listed and sold so I can fund all the up fitting on the 8.1.

· Administrator
22,220 Posts
I finally towed something substantial. My in laws brought their 7000 pound 30 ft travel trailer up for the weekend so we hooked up both Suburbans back to back and there was no noticeible difference in steering or handling. The 8.1 was clearly quieter and working less hard to maintain speeds on hills and the engine was barely audible on the flats. I've finally decided to sell the 6.0 Quadrasteer and keep the 8.1. The Quadrasteer is great driving around town and parking but that's not what I wanted a 2500 Suburban for. I'm glad that phase is over so I can focus on up fitting the 8.1, new leather, backup camera, overhead DVD player, new head unit, etc. Of course I now need to clean up the Quadrasteer and get it listed and sold so I can fund all the up fitting on the 8.1.
Keep having some conversations here and when you reach 25 posts you can create an ad in the Marketplace and advertise your Quadrasteer for sale (y)

· Registered
326 Posts
My 03 quadrasteer 3/4 ton 4.10 gears, regularly pulls a 8000 lb loaded stock trailer. Used to pull a 12,500 lb dream coach bumper pull. Wasn't a ball of fire with the big trailer but does fine with the smaller one. I could tow more with it than my father in law could with his one ton ford. But it only had a v6 in it.

· Registered
403 Posts
I had my buddy change out the oil pan gasket and I'm now leak free and running strong.
What would your buddy estimate as a good quote for this job if I were to have this done at an independent shop?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts