Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Eagle Eyes
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
setting up a GM 14 bolt full floater for my truck. 3.73:1 gears. truck is used on road more often then not, but does go off into mud and soft soil areas. state does get snow and ice. truck also hauls weight in the bed and tows a pretty good size trailer at times.

so what kind of locking differential should i get? posi? full locker? which brand, which type?? looking for one that works best for the conditons above as well as longetivity and strength as well.

front axle is GM 10bolt with eaton posi.

·
Registered
218 Posts
For the GM 14-bolt, FF... I don't think that you can beat the Detroit Locker for strength and durability. Last time I checked (quite a while ago, at that) they could be had for around $400. Might not have the perfect 'road manners' though, since it is a true locker... locked all the time, but will ratchet in turns. Just a thought. Cheers.

·
Banned
735 Posts
For the GM 14-bolt, FF... I don't think that you can beat the Detroit Locker for strength and durability.
:exactly: Detriot or bust!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,929 Posts
g-80 rocks.....JMO

·
Registered
281 Posts
spool, or just weld up the spider gears solid to the carrier. it's essentially the same as a detroit, just less expensive and more predictable. i've been driving one for years and haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you drive on-road more than half the time, and if you ever pull a big trailer, I would go with the Eaton posi. Much less noticeable than the Detroit, and infinitely more enjoyable than the Lincoln locker as mentioned above. And easier on the tires.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
If you drive on the road I would recommend an Eaton or a Detroit TruTrac. I have plenty of friend who ran Detroit full lockers in their trucks and hated it on the road. If it were for off road only, that would be a different story. Even if it doesn't ice, a full detroit locker or welded rear will get very squirly in the rain. That's just not safe.

·
Eagle Eyes
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies so far.
how will a eaton posi hold up timewise? I like it in my front axle but that gets barely used and dont want to be swapping it/fixing it often.

and the G-80 is a actual eaton full locker type right?

·
Registered
63 Posts
IME, the clutch type posi should last 50k miles at least. The new carbon clutches are better than the older steel ones as well from what I understand.

The Gov-Lok is a clutch type positraction that uses a differentiating gear setup to apply load to the clutches when one tire exceeds 50 rpm of the other tire, but it is still a clutch type positraction, NOT a full locker.

·
Eagle Eyes
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks im always getting that mixed up.
sounds like there is a difference in build between the G-80 gov lock posi and just a regular Eaton posi? I know both are by Eaton..but which is better?

·
Registered
369 Posts
The OEM g80 and even the aftermarket Eaton g80 can and will break, you wont break the Eaton LSD, maybe just wear out the clutch plates eventually(which is completely rebuildable).

·
Eagle Eyes
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
good to know thank you. still open to hear any other suggestions.

·
Eagle Eyes
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so..any more suggestions?

·
Registered
76 Posts
My '72 3/4 ton gasser had a detroit locker which was very good in slow off-road conditions but would not allow the truck to turn under slippery road conditions. I was often in the ditch. Don't get one you will not like it.

My '86 3/4 ton gasser has the stock GM locker which is excellent in all conditions. It has 240,000 kilometers in fairly light duty service and it still works perfectly on and off road. The roads up here are icy most of the winter.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I have run Eaton G-80 on four different trucks and two Suburbans and have never had any problems. I like the fact that when needed it will lock up solid but at speeds higher than around 20 mph it acts as a full open differential and reduces the likelyhood of getting squirly on icy roads. I have never had a G-80 fail me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The "detroit" is the toughest but it does take some getting use to on the street and is fair harsh on tires. I run mine on the street daily and dont mind it to much, you just have to change your driving style a bit. The G80 is okay, but the have a bad wrap and its one of the first things we change out if anything more than grocery getting is in the trucks future.

·
Eagle Eyes
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
anyone else? so far sounds like a true eaton posi is the way to go for this setup.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I though the only two choices we had for the AAM, were the G80 (Eaton) which is not available retail, except from GM. And the other would be an AAM unit like the one used on the Dodge.

JJ

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
You can now get an ARB for the Corperate 14B. It sounds to me like a limited slip will do you well or if you want a real locker part of the time an ARB is always a good locker.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts