Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound like a pretty stupid question but this is my first diesel and I see there are two types. The new Duramax being the LLY. How can you tell which one you have? I have read that there were many improvements to the LLY but I don't know how to tell which I have. The manufactue date on the engine is 02/04. Thanks

·
Registered
646 Posts
That should be an LLY.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I think but there has to be some way to tell. I have looked at some of the aftermarket power boosters and some will not work with the LLY so I have to figure out which I one I have. Thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
If the eighth number of the VIN is a 1 = LB7 if 2 = LLY

I dont know of any power modules out for the LLY yet from what I have read some are getting close to releasing, but not yet.

On edit do a search it should bring you hours of reading on the LLY and LB7 and power modules..Edited by: tanner

·
Registered
926 Posts
Look at the eighth digit on the VIN

1: LB7

2: LLY

Dan

·
Registered
511 Posts
Mine was built 1/04 and it is an LLY.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've not seen one but I would think the injector lines going into the valve covers would be a dead give away... Doesn't the LLY look sort of like an old hemi head valve cover where the plugs went through it?

·
Registered
648 Posts
BadDog,

That's not necessarily true. I have an 04 with an LB7 and it has the "quick-release" injectors poking through the valve covers.

Cajon,

you can also look at the sticker on the inside of your glovebox door. It has all the option codes listed for your truck. There you'll see either "LB7" or "LLY" listed.

CStone

·
Registered
128 Posts
CStone said:
BadDog,

That's not necessarily true. I have an 04 with an LB7 and it has the "quick-release" injectors poking through the valve covers.

CStone

That isnt a "quick release" injector going through the valve cover on your LB7 what you are seeing is the fuel line, the injector is way down there under the valve cover..

·
Registered
648 Posts
tanner:

I stand corrected. Good catch.

CStone

·
Registered
203 Posts
I guess that wasn't clear. I'm not talking about the lines attached (and sealed) to the covers by the clips like the LB7. I thought the LLY had holes like the old Hemi where you could see the injector down in there. Easy access and service and all that...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts