Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always used prestone green and distilled or RO water. It has always worked well. I was doing some coolant research and peak has a product called fleet charge. It is a pink coolant with anti cavitation additives. It looks like pretty good stuff. it Is speced to work with the 6.9 and 7.3 engines. I have replaced many 6.5 water pumps and I have always seen cavitation damage on the timing cover. What do you all think of this stuff? Would it help/hurt in a 6.5L diesel? It claims to have 8% better thermal conductivity. I am about to replace my radiator in my 93 and I am thinking of flushing and replacing with fleet charge.

·
Administrator
16,302 Posts
The problem with this is product is noted in the link.
( No Initial Supplemental Coolant Additives needed at initial fill) which means you'll need to do some babysitting and test it approximately every 30K miles and add SCA.
If it were me I would just stick with the regular green coolant and roll..

Reactions: 56pan

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not worried about needing to test it. it is easy enough. The only issue with the green I have had is that it stops protecting against corrosion after a year or two. I have also noticed entrained air in the coolant returning to the radiator from the heater core. The laws of physics lead me to believe that if I have less air in the coolant it will cool better, that and the cavitation damage I have seen is why I was looking into coolant formulated to prevent cavitation.

My main question is that with a proper flush will this coolant hurt seals and surfaces in my engine? I know dex-cool has had some issues with seals in the past and this is a pre dex-cool engine, so no dex-cool.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Sct, have you used this Evans coolant and for how long? Not discounting what you're saying here, but I went to their website and got a strong smell of snake oil. I'll look further for some real world info on it, but wondered how long you'd used it?

·
Administrator
16,302 Posts
There have been a
Sct, have you used this Evans coolant and for how long? Not discounting what you're saying here, but I went to their website and got a strong smell of snake oil. I'll look further for some real world info on it, but wondered how long you'd used it?
There are a few posts here where members tried the stuff. Do a forum search for Evans waterless coolant.
The coolant runs in price, close to $50/gal so if you use it your system must be in top shape. any leaks in the system will start being expensive

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There have been a

There are a few posts here where members tried the stuff. Do a forum search for Evans waterless coolant.
The coolant runs in price, close to $50/gal so if you use it your system must be in top shape. any leaks in the system will start being expensive
This is one reason I want to use the fleet charge coolant. I can get it at napa for $16 a gallon.

·
Administrator
16,302 Posts
This is one reason I want to use the fleet charge coolant. I can get it at napa for $16 a gallon.
Then use it and be sure to monitor the coolant and give us a report on what you think of it
👍

Reactions: mp06011999

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,828 Posts
Yes, I use it and have for many years...
How did you get ALL the water out of the system?
I know it is waterless, so the engine should not have any water in there.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
The motor was newly built, but you could drain as much as possible, fill up with evans then leave the cap off, the water will boil off. And i run 0 psi in the cooling system as well...

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I use Peak Final Charge in truck in sig. Its real good stuff. But my truck is designed for OAT coolants. I am sure the Fleet charge you linked will work good in a older engine like your.93. They do make Final Charge in a NOAT base but I have never used it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I use Peak Final Charge in truck in sig. Its real good stuff. But my truck is designed for OAT coolants. I am sure the Fleet charge you linked will work good in a older engine like your.93. They do make Final Charge in a NOAT base but I have never used it.
I have read some where before but cant remember. What would happen if you ran the OAT coolant in a truck that was made for NOAT base. I have access to Peak final charge at pretty much no cost to me. My truck is a 95 I like the idea of not really having to pay for antifreeze if I don't have to. I know I would have to flush out all the old stuff.

I also have access to this stuff as well. What are your thoughts on it

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fleet charge and final charge are different products. Fleet charge is the ethylene glycol based coolant. It is compatible with prestone green. I think final charge is a OAT or HOAT coolant. It is rated as a lifetime coolant. I used the fleet charge because it looks like a much better glycol based coolant then prestone plus it has anticavitation additives.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So far I have to say that I really like the fleet charge coolant. It works well, is compatible with green, and it only cost 10.50 at rural king. The coolant has almost no foam or bubbles in the radiator. I think the anti cavitation additive will help with cooling efficiency and prolong water pump/timing cover life.

Reactions: JMJNet
1 - 15 of 15 Posts