Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Its seems everyone has there preference when it comes to brake pads, (I have read a ton of threads) here is my scenario;
I own a 02' DMAX and I rarely tow , its mainly used for the mountains/country and my 100 mile commute, I consider myself to be heavy on the brakes and I have carry at least 70gal of diesel. My OEM got 123K on them.

My question is I am going to do pads but want to make sure if I do rotors down the road which pads will be a sufficient match?

EBC?
HAWK?
OTHER?

What about Rotors (later on)?
Powerslot?
Cyro?
OTHER?

Thanks guys........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,357 Posts
EBC Ultra High Friction Yellow pads.

DEWFPO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
DEWFPO;1590800; said:
EBC Ultra High Friction Yellow pads.

DEWFPO
Are you using them now? If so do they dust at all?

I have a complete set ready for me to install.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,165 Posts
I'm curious about the dusting to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
TheJDMan;1590895; said:
I'm curious about the dusting to.
I had the Hawk Super Duty pads and they were terrible with the dust. I had the EBC Green Stuff and they were better than the Hawks but worse than the OEM. I currently have the Ackebonos and they are perfect in all respects. I'd like to know about the dusting on the EBC Yellow pads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
I'd like to hear from anyone who has tried many different "ceramic/high performance" pads and thought they were crap due to such unacceptable cold performance, yet found the EBC yellow to actually live up to the "hype". Having the distance from slamming on the brakes until I hit some fool who pulls out in front of me to sufficiently heat up the pads to gain the promoted performance is not acceptable.

I've never met a ceramic that was worth crap, especially Performance Friction. On a Jeep or my trucks.

The closest I found were the Hawk HP's. Awesome friction but excessive noise that necessitated their removal.

I have a different application (highly modified Jeep) that needs extreme friction pads. I cannot change to a larger caliper piston due to excessive pedal travel, cannot convert to hydroboost due to the power steering pump already supplying a ram assist steering, and cannot increase the rotor size due to 15" rims. That leaves the only other solution as an increased pad friction.

Andy
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,953 Posts
Speschl88;1590735; said:
Its seems everyone has there preference when it comes to brake pads, (I have read a ton of threads) here is my scenario;
I own a 02' DMAX and I rarely tow , its mainly used for the mountains/country and my 100 mile commute, I consider myself to be heavy on the brakes and I have carry at least 70gal of diesel. My OEM got 123K on them.

My question is I am going to do pads but want to make sure if I do rotors down the road which pads will be a sufficient match?

EBC?
HAWK?
OTHER?

What about Rotors (later on)?
Powerslot?
Cyro?
OTHER?

Thanks guys........
At 123k, I think the answer is obvious. ACDelco.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,376 Posts
ASCTLC;1591160; said:
I'd like to hear from anyone who has tried many different "ceramic/high performance" pads and thought they were crap due to such unacceptable cold performance, yet found the EBC yellow to actually live up to the "hype". Having the distance from slamming on the brakes until I hit some fool who pulls out in front of me to sufficiently heat up the pads to gain the promoted performance is not acceptable.

I've never met a ceramic that was worth crap, especially Performance Friction. On a Jeep or my trucks.

The closest I found were the Hawk HP's. Awesome friction but excessive noise that necessitated their removal.

I have a different application (highly modified Jeep) that needs extreme friction pads. I cannot change to a larger caliper piston due to excessive pedal travel, cannot convert to hydroboost due to the power steering pump already supplying a ram assist steering, and cannot increase the rotor size due to 15" rims. That leaves the only other solution as an increased pad friction.

Andy

theres another option. pinion brakes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,517 Posts
heymccall;1591284; said:
At 123k, I think the answer is obvious. ACDelco.:D
Ding ding ding we have a winner. IMO there is nothing like factory pad for longevity, low dust etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
We tried a lot of different pads in our shop. We only use Raybestos Blue pads now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,673 Posts
When it comes time for me to do my brakes, I am going to be putting on stock OEM pads with some nice cross drilled or slotted rotors.

Bentley
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I got my answer thanks guys for the help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
myojunk;1591547; said:
theres another option. pinion brakes
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, that's not an option. One of those wouldn't last 10 minutes on the kind of trail I frequent.

Andy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Didn't mean to hijack the thread with my "performance pad" pursuit.

For my Dmax, I'll stick with OEM pads. Plenty sufficient while towing the slide-in hardside camper and Jeep on the car hauler together. I'm sure the pads will be more expensive than aftermarket but they will be wonderfully predictable.

Andy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I looked up pads on ac/delco and I have the option for ceramic or semi metallic which ones?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,190 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,796 Posts
NAPA Ceramix. Used them on my 98 1500, nothing else would last, even the OEM pads(29K miles), NAPA severe duty.... 5600miles w/ lots of dust. Ceramix from 34K till I traded it at 77K
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Speschl88;1593039; said:
I looked up pads on ac/delco and I have the option for ceramic or semi metallic which ones?
ACDelco Ceramic DuraStop Brakes !!!

They work great for me and I tow 3-5 days a week in the city and highways
I think they are same ones that came with the truck ... never had to complain .... and what GM say about recover time been short I can agree with that one from presonal experiance :rolleyes:
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top