Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not sure which one has the best warranty but I had a pace edwards on my last truck and after a couple of years the cover started to seperate..I tried to glue it back down but had no luck..Also it faded fairly quick..But that being said I bought the same thing for my new truck. The first one I put on myself but this one I had installed by the guy who sold it to me and he said that he would replace the top if it comes apart..Also he only uses 303 protectent on his covers..I used armorall on the last one and wasnt impressed...

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Roll and Lock for me...Had it for about 2 years and it is still mint. I only use 303 on it myself and have had no problems. Adjusting the unit is easy and customer service is great. I needed an endcap and they sent it to me no charge. All in all, a very happy customer.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I have a roll n lock as well. I can agree with all said above but I hate the leaks. I have tried all kinds of things to get it to stop leaking and it just won't do it. I have it to a managable level now, but I wish I had gone with the retrax which handles the water better.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am happy with my Retrax for the past year. It stays dry till I open it in the rain to get at something. It still looks new but I am careful not to slide anything around on top when it is closed as I know Lexan scratches easy.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I removed a P/E bedlocker power unit from a customers truck that quite working. He wanted a Retrax unit which we got from Kennedydiesel.com and installed it. He loves it, but does miss the power feature. I think they may have a tendancy to scratch easy, but treat the cover like the rest of your truck body and shouldnt have any problems. His is nearly waterproof with the 'gate gasket' installed.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
I've had em all and I sell them all. Hands down retrax is far supperior. I sell 50 retrax to 1 of any other. When you see all 3 side by side it's an easy decision. Talk to any retrax owner, you'll see.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I think the BAK Pro Caps without stake holes looks the best. Compare these two pictures
With ProCaps

Without ProCaps

I'm very happy with my Retrax even though there is an issue with it that has not been resolved. Hopefully, it will be taken care of shortly. Regardless, I still think I made the right choice.

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Polycarbonate is notoriously vulnerable to UV attack. I am just weary of using it here. I know it is treated, but still, that is usually partially effective. Also laying out a grand for a manually operated cover with a one year warranty seems ridiculous.

·
Registered
211 Posts
masterp2 said:
Polycarbonate is notoriously vulnerable to UV attack. I am just weary of using it here. I know it is treated, but still, that is usually partially effective. Also laying out a grand for a manually operated cover with a one year warranty seems ridiculous.

Michael you may be correct, time will tell. Lexan/Polycarb has been in the world for many years. Improvements have been made. I hear you on the one-year warrantee. I don't know of a cover of this type that has more than a one year. I know the PE has a one year. I wonder if they covered the PE electric dmaxallitech had to pull off? I do know of a couple of issues with the PE and getting them repaired/replaced.

If you don’t think a Retrax is right for you, you had better stay away from the others!

Might I suggest a Snug-Lid fiberglass cover. My future in-laws don't have a problem removing or re-installing theirs in 10 minutes. Lifetime warrantee and the best fit and finish in the industry. Cheaper than a Retrax and actually better looking. They use a system where the mounting kit stays on the truck so no re-alignment is necessary. The new SL series Snug Lid is sweet with the remote release.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I ran the P/E on my last truck. It lasted about 8 years before it finally gave out. Never had a problem with the cover. The rails just wore out. Kept everything dry.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I looked at one for my old truck. It folds like an accordian down at the front of the bed. There is a cross bar there that will stick out and isnt supported well. It provides structural support to the cover. I didnt want that bar being clobbered by my ATV. I also found a guy over at thedieselstop.com that said it wasnt all that waterproof. If you were to open it during rain, the accordian style opening would dump water into the bed.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
The guy who owns my old 98 truck still has it and the original Retrax cover still work and looks great. No issues whatsoever.

PE had a lot of problems in there earlier days hopefully they have been resolved. They had problems with the canister springs, vinal splitting, aluminum slats wearing into the rails, aluminum slats seperating, and thats just off the top of my head. If you own one long enough your will experience all of those problems. Not to mention that you need to tie them to a tree to close them once they start to wear.

The retrax rolls on bearings and even the 6 year old one sill rolls with one finger.

I am sure PE has solved a lot of these problems but they sure had a poor concept.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Had a Peragon on my 2000 GMC 2500, it was difficult to install properly and it needed frequent adjustments to work without binding. I would not recommend one.

I put a Fold-A-Cover on the 2003 2500HD and it has been great so far. Like having an 8 foot tool box. This is the cover GM offers as a dealer option.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Max Power,
You hit the nail right on the head with your insight of the PE cover.
I've had the electric bed locker for a couple of years now and I'm starting to experience all the problems you mentioned.
The remote control power feature was great when new, very convenient. But now that is a couple of years old I'm afraid to open it because I never know if it'll want to close again. When it gets stuck open, I have to wait and drive through some rough terrain to "rattle" it close.
I'll probably be looking to get a Retrax soon.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Any of you guys tried any other all aluminum covers like Roll Bak or others. I like the idea of powder coated aluminum for its stength and durability.

I did see the post regarding Peragon. Seems like all aluminum models may bind more or not function as smoothly.

·
Registered
211 Posts
packfan said:
Any of you guys tried any other all aluminum covers like Roll Bak or others. I like the idea of powder coated aluminum for its stength and durability.

All I have seen roll on top of itself when retracted. Drive a few hundred miles in the "open" position and it scuffs the powder coat on the cover. It will eventually do it anyhow, but driving with it open will accelerate it. Most will develop a consistent track where it touches.

The Retrax is the only unit I have seen that does not roll on top of itself. It has a track in a spiral in the “can” that guides the roller bearings to allow it roll up. There is no spool for it to roll onto. No springs to assist in the retraction etc (none needed)

This picture shows one in the retracted mode from the end.

As they say, treat it like you would the hood on your truck.

·
Registered
112 Posts
DEMAXALLIS,

Were the panels on the Peragon simular to the Fold-a-Cover? They are both aluminum I believe.

What are the seals like on the two of them? I understand one folds up and the other lays on top of itself. I would guess the Peragon rides under a seal on the side and seals between the panels while the Fold-a-Cover lays on top of the bed rails. Can you still use the stake pockets?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts