Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I read the posts about putting 285's on the stock rims...I want to keep the stock rims and put 285's on them and will do some towing. Which tire brand in a 285 would be best for wear & stability?

·
Diesel Master, Formerly goth2o
5,510 Posts
Everyone seems to be happy with what they have, but I'll never buy another new tire for daily use besides my Yohahama Geolander at's. Not too rugged, but just enough. I've had everything from BFG at's, BFG mt's, Swampers, Good Year MTR, Kelley DTR, MSR, off brands like crazy (Mud King, etc), and everything stock offered. Nothing has held up to the abuse and daily driving like these. I got a deal on them so I tried them by chance, and I love them. I can plow in 2wd most of the time(unless it's heavy) with no balast weight. I've done many burnouts on them and the rears look no different than the fronts. I rotated them once after about 5,000 miles. Now It's been another 10,000 and you'd never know. I haven't seen much talk about them, but it's my 2 cents.

·
5,510 Posts
I forgot to mention that they are "D" rated tires (as I said, I got a deal) and diesels should have "E's". Another reason I'm impressed. Heavy front end with 900lbs extra hanging off the front.

·
Registered
276 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
276 Posts
I haven't yet, but the tires only have about 4000 miles on them. So far they seem to be wearing good. I know a lot of people run 285's on stock rims. I know a few that run 305's. The Revo's are on the pricey side, but a damn good tire in my opinion. I like them because it seems a lot of people have the BFG's and I want my truck to look different. Also, the ratings are better on the Revo's too.

·
Registered
160 Posts
cooper discoverer s/t

·
Registered
190 Posts
I got Michelin LTX-MS 285s on my ride. They ride great, have very low road noise, wear great, and can handle heavy towing. They look good on stock rims and i've been very satisfied with mine.

·
Registered
202 Posts
MRC;1602927; said:
Ok I read the posts about putting 285's on the stock rims...I want to keep the stock rims and put 285's on them and will do some towing. Which tire brand in a 285 would be best for wear & stability?
Don't do It get the right size rim or use a 265:idea:

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Dont buy Mastercraft A/T's. They lasted me all of 20,000 miles and they were slicks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Joe Buck;1603843; said:
Don't do It get the right size rim or use a 265:idea:
I was going to do the same thing. I wanted the 285 and stay with the stack rim. I was told bad idea. I do alot of towing it was not recamended. I ended up going with 265 75R 16 and there great tires. off BFG's web site.

LT265/75R16/D120SRWL617247 - 810.6 on 7.531.716656[email protected]

LT245/75R16/E120SRWL102436.5 - 7.59.8 on [email protected]

I did go with the D rated. There rated the same as the E for load just a little less pressure.

·
5,510 Posts
I had 315 BFG MT's on a factory GM 6 lug wheels with no wear issues. I sold the truck with over 20,000 on the tires. 285's are very common on factory wheels these days.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discount tire told me that BFG did a study and the 285 on a 6.5 had a 100 percent failure rate and wouldn't mount them? Z

·
Registered
97 Posts
i love **** cepek fcIIs, dont cup like bfg ats and wore ALOT better

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
goth2o;1605909; said:
I had 315 BFG MT's on a factory GM 6 lug wheels with no wear issues. I sold the truck with over 20,000 on the tires. 285's are very common on factory wheels these days.
10-4! I've been running 285's on my factory PYO's since I bought my truck. Beat the ever-lovin' sh*t outta my wheels/tires, over curbs, rocks, mud, ice, skidding around in the dirt, drifting into curbs, etc. I also tow a 6,000+lb traile with it and have had no problems.

Running Toyo Open Country A/T 285-75R16, great tires.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Listen to joe buck! i did what you are wanting to do. I ran 285 75 16 on the stock rim and it will work and look good but,you will eat the tires up.(i did) the stock rim is 6.5" and needs to be around 8" to run the 285's and get good tread wear. I thought it was the tire at first and cussed my bfg's before i bought 9" rims.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I like my Bfg AT's, pics in my garage. Awesome in the snow!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts