Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a set of grover airhorns this weekend. Which wire would be best to tap into for switch power(only comes on when the truck is on)?

also which wire under the dash should i tap into for constant power?

thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anybody?

·
Registered
109 Posts
No volunteers ?

I just installed rear aux lights with an in-cab switch. I took the power from the SEO connector which is the top left connector on the MBEC box under the dash on the left.

You will need a fancy connector. I can help walk you through it if this sounds like an option.Edited by: Diesel Dad

·
Registered
522 Posts
Just a personaly opinion, but any time I need power, I go directly to the terminal under the hood. These new trucks are equiped with features that won't let the battery run dead even if you tried. I don't like to rob power from any of my exhisting components just to do something quick and easy.

Like I said, just my two cents worth and no offense to anyone.

-Zorganov

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
A fuse tap hooked to a keyed source and an external relay hooked to the battery.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i got almost everything hooked up.

i went to the battery for the constant. but i still need to know which wire under the dash to tap in to for switch power. i really don't want the compressor to run when the truck is off. does not need alot of power, cause it's going to a relay.

thanks

·
Registered
522 Posts
Control power you could probably tie into your stereo if it's on all the time. Otherwise it may be a wise decision to install a toggle switch. Do you want the compressor to run ALL the time the truck is running? Or just to fill a resivoir?

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
A fuse tap would be helpful. Just incase you do not no what that is I will tell you. It is real fuse that plugs into the fuse box. It allows the original circuit to perform as normal but provides you with an additional fuse and hot lead. It is normally a small lead with no more then 10 amp capacity. Perfect for providing a relay with a signal. The fuse box on the side of the dash has many fuses to chose from. I like the 4wd because it is has power just before cranking and after the engine is running. It would allow you to use your horns with out the engine running but not in the accerorie mode(stereo).

I found fuse taps at NAPA and Vauto Zone.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Zorganov said:
These new trucks are equiped with features that won't let the battery run dead even if you tried.

Your right I didnt try to run the battery dead but I did leave something plugged into the power oultlet and it died.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Zorg

i just want the comp to run when the tank is low but only when the truck is on. so if the pressure drops or if i get a leak in the middle of the nite. i don't have to worry about the comp running killing the battery

Bronco

thanks for the info. i'll have to make a visit to the zone.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a grover fire truck airhorn that I installed with a viair compressor. What you want to do is set it up on a relay that is fused to a power lead when the key turns on. I use to have it set to straight power and it would drain my battery if I had a air leak. I put a toggle switch between the factory horn and the airhorn so I can choose which one will work when I hit the horn on the steering while. I have a pdf file of my wiring diagram that I can send you. I mounted the horn under the radiator in the front of the truck. The airtank and compressor are on the passenger side frame mid cab. (I have a crew cab) I made a protective box out of a trailer battery box that goes over the compressor for weather protection. It is black so with it on you do not even know the compressor is there. On the air tank I put a nipple to attach a air hose so I can air my tires. I also put a 150 psi pressure relief valve on the bottom of the tank incase the compressor does not shut off. Also it looks cool just hanging there.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Any pictures of that setup? I have two grovers, viair 550C, and a 5 gallon pulled off my old truck waiting to be installed. I found the 2500HD CC has a ton less room under it for this type of toy.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
home

thats what i was trying to find. a power lead that turns on with the key.

if you have the pdf please email it to me.

[email protected]

thanks

·
Registered
549 Posts
Zorganov said:
Just a personaly opinion, but any time I need power, I go directly to the terminal under the hood. These new trucks are equiped with features that won't let the battery run dead even if you tried. I don't like to rob power from any of my exhisting components just to do something quick and easy.

Like I said, just my two cents worth and no offense to anyone.

-Zorganov

Where is the power terminal under the hood you are referring to?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts