Diesel Place banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of guys tap into the passenger side manifold but the guy I bought my guage pod from said that they (Liberator Performance) tap into the cross over pipe before the turbo. I also thought about puttin it after the turbo because thats where it is on our Kenworth W900L and who knows diesels better than Cat. A truck mechanic told me that they put it after the turbo on big trucks in case the probe breaks off. That way it doesnt go through the turbo. It seems like everybody I talk to tells me something different. Any opinions or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Gerry

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Liberator Performance, that's in Harrisburg, PA correct?

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Pre turbo since that's the hottest point. Also the exhaust manifold is again the hottest point that's easily acceptable. I haven't heard of anyone's probe breaking off and going into the turbo but I suppose it could happen.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Liberator Performance is in Carlisle, Pa.

Thanks for the replys

·
Registered
668 Posts
If all else fails, "READ THE INSTRUCTIONS." A lot of misunderstandings about this out there. EGT probes are designed and "CALIBRATED" to go in different places. ie: some pre turbo some post turbo! Both positions will give accurate readings, and both positions have pro's and con's! :grd:

·
Registered
26 Posts
You want it very near the part you think you may melt first.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
If you install it post turbo the general rule is add 300 degrees for pre turbo temp. If you have an edge you will need to calibrate this so that the backdown will work properly. A freind of mine melted his turbo on his 7.3 powerjoke with this combo so i'm not sure if even the 300 degree rule is resonable when used in conjunction with the edge.

If you don't want to tap, You may look into buying a passenger side BD manifold for 200-300 as they come pretapped with the 1/8" npt and fix the large steering shaft dent in the stock piece.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts