1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you put your thermocouple?

In the exhaust manifold (pre turbo)?
In the downpipe (post turbo)?

I would think that pre turbo will get you better and quicker readings but if something ever breaks off in there - bye bye turbo fan.

Putting it in the downpipe does not risk your turbo but you would have to calibrate it (adjust it mentally or whatever) for that location as the egts might be lower by the time the exhaust has passed through the turbo.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
722 Posts
i have read on several posts that the probe will blow out of the manafold befor the tip will brake off ( im not sayin in all cases tho)

·
Banned
3 Posts
We recommend that our customers install pyrometer gauges preturbo. We have yet to here of a turbo failure caused by a EGT probe breaking.

Pre-turbo readings are more accurate then post-turbo and tend to have a quicker response then post

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Where do you put your thermocouple?

In the exhaust manifold (pre turbo)?
your best bet is pre-turbo on the passenger manifold. If its in pre then when you see a high temp on your guage your turbo hasn't reached that just yet, but if you install post and you see a high temp on the guage your turbo has reached that high and higher..probabably too late then.. make sense?

I'd want to know before I cause damage instead of being too late.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
followed kennedys tech tips today everything worked out well:ro)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good to know. Thanks for the link. Kennedy has some good info on his site.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just had mine done today pre turbo. Nice to finally have a reading. But has anyone noticed more noise from the engine after installing the pryo? Seems like I have more chatter/clicking. If I am not suppose to have this extra noise let me know recommendations of possible cause and I will revisit the installer tomorrow.

thanks

·
Registered
682 Posts
In the exhaust manifold as temps can be 3-500 degrees cooler post turbo. Most on here do it pre turbo. I am doing it pre turbo in the spring
When do you guys get spring?

·
Banned
2,176 Posts
briano, you state to mount it on the passenger side? Would it be any different mounting it on the driver's side? Reason I ask is because I was thinking of doing the BD exhaust manifold so that I don't have to drill/tap into my stock manifold and that's located on the driver's side.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Passenger side is easy access. All you have to do is jack up the truck remove the inner fender well plastic and you have tons of room. If you are doing the BD manifold I would see no problem with doing it on the drivers side because what I hear trying to drill and tap the drivers side you need to be a contorsionist to get to it.....

I did mine on the passenger side doing it with the "Hoot Method" works great.....

Here is another thread with some pics.... http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81265

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
briano, you state to mount it on the passenger side? Would it be any different mounting it on the driver's side? Reason I ask is because I was thinking of doing the BD exhaust manifold so that I don't have to drill/tap into my stock manifold and that's located on the driver's side.
That way is completely acceptable. Just harder to access and a bigger job with changing the manifold. Dare I say better in the long run too. :)

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
BD is a great way , but you have to mount it first. and buy it too. The time it takes to remove the passanger side fenderwall and drill the manifold is alot faster and a lot less costley than the BD way

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
BD is a great way , but you have to mount it first. and buy it too. The time it takes to remove the passanger side fenderwall and drill the manifold is alot faster and a lot less costley than the BD way
:exactly:

Cheap and easy just the way I like it.... ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.