Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never liked going back to a dealer for maintenance. They never want to do anything while I wait. Must leave the car, so I have to have other transportation. This is my first diesel so I am a little concerned about getting things done right. Can I trust Jiffy Lube, Oil Can Henry, etc,. Can they reset inf o center? On my gas engines I have used only synthetic oil. Will these places have the right kind for diesel? Will they have the filters? What about Sears? Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Hal

·
Registered
124 Posts
Try making an appointment 1 week ahead of time for 1st thing in the morning. That usually works for me and I am out in 1 hr. to 1 1/2hrs. usually. I am going to do my own after spending $ 148.00 for a oil change and spin filter change on the trans.though.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Ask First

Where ever you go that isn't the dealer, ask them what oil they have for your diesel. Since you mentioned that you use synthetics in your gassers, if you are going to use synthetics in your D/A, make sure it meets the right API Service that GM requires. This means CI-4, or CH-4, or CI-4 plus. Just don't ask which oil brand is best, because there is no right answer. Some good ones include (in alphabetical order) AMSOIL, Delo-400, Mobil 1 Truck & SUV oil, Penzoil Long Life, and Rotella T. Ask them what viscosity they carry. The manual says preferred is 15W-40, but a lot of people especially in cold weather, use 5W40 synthetic, I think for two reasons. One it is better for cold weather starts, and secondly, there aren't too many mfgs that make a synthetic in 15W-40 that don't cost you a fortune.

·
Registered
296 Posts
When you take your truck to the dealer what is included with an oil change besides the filter?. How about the lube job?. Is that a side order or is it included with the oil change?.

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
The place I trust most - and always know it's done right is ............... my drive way. I've been doing my own maintenance since I started driving, which was over 40 years ago (yipes!).

Besides saving money, the personal satisfaction, and peace of mind knowing everything was done right, it's a chance to look things over for potential problems.

If all you are doing if regular maintenance, the tool list isn't extensive or expensive. A few wrenches, a strap wrench, grease gun and a bucket will take care of most of it. Comparing the cost of what a dealer charges to the cost of the tools (which is a one time cost), makes doing it yourself a very sensible thing.

BTW - check around for someone who take the old oil. Murray's and Autozone both do for free where I live.

:ro)

·
Registered
296 Posts
The place I trust most - and always know it's done right is ............... my drive way.

Besides saving money, the personal satisfaction, and peace of mind knowing everything was done right, it's a chance to look things over for potential problems.

If all you are doing if regular maintenance, the tool list isn't extensive or expensive. A few wrenches, a strap wrench, grease gun and a bucket will take care of most of it. Comparing the cost of what a dealer charges to the cost of the tools (which is a one time cost), makes doing it yourself a very sensible thing.

BTW - check around for someone who take the old oil. Murray's and Autozone both do for free where I live. :ro)
//////////////////////

I always do My own maintainance on My gassers. I just bought this 02 D/A last december and the previous owner always had it serviced where it was bought in town here. SO I thought I would let them do the first (For Me) oil change while I am getting the free fuel-filter. That way I can start with a clean log record. I have never had a dealer do any work on My vehicles in 50 years of driving.

The local land fill her takes used oil for FREE. Not only that, I picked up over 40-quarts of new unopened oil there for free last month.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Go Bandera TX Chevrolet, they give me a lifetime free oil change every 5000 miles for every vehicle I have bought from them. They also do a lube, check trans, and diff.:)

·
Registered
353 Posts
On new vehicle purchases my dealer changes oil, new oil filter, lube job and tops off all fluids for $12.95. The first oil and filter change is free. I put on a new spinon filter for the tranny just before I take in that way I don't have to top off the tranny fluid. In the past I have always done my own service work except the first oil change. It seems like the factory likes to put on the oil filters real tight so I let the dealer get the first one off. $148 seems a bit much for two filters and 10 quarts of oil.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I'm with Tom...I do it myself. Also, good ole Wally World will take your old oil.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I'm with Tom...I do it myself. Also, good ole Wally World will take your old oil.
where I live the refuse collector will give me containers and bags to put my filters in. Put them on the curb on collection day and new bags and empty containers magically appear.

Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts