Diesel Place banner

Where to get a 6.5 engine?

984 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  oil burner 
#1 ·
Hi,

I need a new engine, same old water in the oil, blah, blah, blah......

I have been searching for a good price on a quality remanufactured complete engine. (with turbo, intake manifold, waterpump, etc.)

So far I have found Jasper @ $8145 for a running engine.

SS Diesel @ $5959 for a complete drop-in.

International Diesel @ $4300 for a complete drop-in.

GM Chevy Diesel Engines.com @ $3950 for a complete drop-in.

Kennedy Diesel @ $7699 for a complete drop-in.

Rhino engines @ $7450 for a complete drop-in.

What I'm looking for is some feedback on customer service and what people have experienced from any and all of these guys. Some of the names I trust, but some I hadn't heard of.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
From what i have researched, I think Penninsular Diesel has the best one going. Complete Brand new 2007 block, and they have worked out all the problems that make the 6.5 a troublesome engine. They have a heavy duty version with power ratings of 300 H.P and 520 ft/lbs of torque ands its a drop in engine. This one costs $6700. Also, they have a performance injection pump you can add in that brings the horsepower and torque numbers up and even have a twin turbo option that will bring the ft/lbs of torque over 650 and all this being a reliable motor. Look up the number and call them, all the guys there are really helpfull and wil answer any questions.

#3 ·
I bought from SS Diesel before and will buy from them agian. Great people to work with IMO.
I know alot of members here have bought from Kennedy Diesel and are very happy with him. Also Kennedy is a site vendor here so that's a good thing.

The others I don't know about so I can't say they are good or bad. Maybe others here will know more about them.

#4 ·
Be very cautious about the low price ones IIRC they use a lot of China remanufactured parts, this is one of those you get what you pay for routes, I'd say stick with one of the vendors you see mentioned on a frequent basis in the various forums on the web. Haiti ain't a place where you want something breaking down on you (IIRC you were planning to take it there), plus the top line vendors live or die by their reputations.

You dropped the pan yet to confirm a bad block, very easily could be a head gasket issue, don't give up hope yet.

#5 ·
Thanks for the feedback, thus far.

TurbineDoc,

The mechanic I'm having look at this and I were talking, and with the amount and duration of time antifreeze has been in the block, even if it did turn out to be head gaskets, it will probably only be a matter of time before the lower end dumps. In the last 2 months, at least 10 gallons of coolant have gone through it in about 1000 miles. The oil has been changed twice in that time, but that is still a lot of anti freeze and water on the bearing in the engine and turbo. Also, I have run out of time to do the work myself, or spend time trying to figure out what's actually broken. I know it's a bundle for a new engine, but at least I'll know where I'm at.

Reliability is my goal.

#6 ·
quote "Reliability is my goal." quote

I would consider a Penninsular Diesel engine,everything is brand new and they use the new navistar block casting along with the new and improved head castings. If I'm spending 6-7 thousand dollars what is a few hundred dollars more to get the best. JMO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.