Diesel Place banner

Where to buy a decent refurbished injection pump?

6K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  82Kbody 
#1 ·
I am just to place an order at Pensacola Fuel Injection (Pensacoladiesel) when I read some bad reviews. Any advice on where to buy a decent refurbished IP? Any one having experience with Pensacola?
Please advice!

#2 ·
I am just to place an order at Pensacola Fuel Injection (Pensacoladiesel) when I read some bad reviews. Any advice on where to buy a decent refurbished IP? Any one having experience with Pensacola?
Please advice!
Quite a few members have used Badger Diesel for their 6.2L needs
(y)

Reactions: Helge Soereide
#4 ·
^^ This or since you are in another Country you may find an Authorized Stanadyne shop in your area that can rebuild it as well

#5 ·
I often wonder if I did the right thing or not--but-------I have a 97 and a 94, and both needed IP's replaced. I did both with Pensacola Diesel thru ebay. $500 I got the pump and a gasket set, installed and I'm rolling still. One is 2 years ago, the other is 1 year ago...... It's the cheape$t option, I've heard some things, but so far I am problem free, except the two times I didn't think to plug my PMD directly into the IP. 2 times I've had bad PMD relocation harnesses..........

When I did suspect IP, I contacted them and they seemed more than willing to honor their warranty too. Have fun.

Reactions: Helge Soereide
#7 ·
Not many shops here in Norway that can repair old stuff anymore. Just parts replacers nowadays. I have contacted Badger. They can sell me a renovated 6.2 IP for $ 500 + core 125, 6.5 IP for 500 + 150 core or a new 6.5 IP for 850, no core. Ca 100$ to ship overseas and of course 25% Norwegian sales tax on parts and shipment. So it will cost me a bit, therefore it is essential to get parts that will work OK. The mechanical 6.5 turbo IP will flow more diesel than a 6.2 IP is able to. But that might not be necessary on the 6.2, even with a low pressure turbo (ca 8 psi) When it comes to the core I will probably just pay the fee cause it will cost me ca 100$ for the return shipment...

#9 ·
In the end I ordered a refurbished IP from Pensacoladiesel. Good communication and same day shipping! I have now installed the "new" IP o the truck. Also installed a set of refurbished injectors. But I have a few issues with the new IP. The motor idles OK, but when you take your foot off the accelerator it sometimes stall. Also when you put your foot down when driving it smokes coal black! The last issue probably comes from me telling Pensacola diesel that I'm planning to install a GM8 turbo (not done yet) and they said OK, we then will turn the fuel up for you. So I guess I will have to turn the fuel a bit down again I guess. Also I do not think I manage to set the static timing correctly as the truck really pumps out a lot of white smoke when starting cold! Might be caused by retarded timing? (the cold start timing advance seems to be working OK)

#14 ·
I don't see how anything to do which whacky timing is the fault of the IP supplier? Both of my IP's 94 bucket truck and 97 Dump are still going perfect, got them from Pensacola Diesel thru ebay. Maybe I'm just lucky? Either way, the whole point of these two trucks is the $aving$ over the alternatives. Getting IP's for each truck for $500 each worked out great so far. I hope they continue to work!
The dump truck ends up sucking down lots of lime dust when I spready ag-lime on the fields. The clouds of lime are so thick you have to stop and back up sometimes so you can see what is going on. Windows up, wearing a mask. Truck just sucking it up like a champ. Air filter seems to catch it all (looks like it anyway). The bucket truck on the other hand leads a life of ease.

#15 ·
I don't see how anything to do which whacky timing is the fault of the IP supplier? Both of my IP's 94 bucket truck and 97 Dump are still going perfect, got them from Pensacola Diesel thru ebay. Maybe I'm just lucky? Either way, the whole point of these two trucks is the $aving$ over the alternatives. Getting IP's for each truck for $500 each worked out great so far. I hope they continue to work!
The dump truck ends up sucking down lots of lime dust when I spready ag-lime on the fields. The clouds of lime are so thick you have to stop and back up sometimes so you can see what is going on. Windows up, wearing a mask. Truck just sucking it up like a champ. Air filter seems to catch it all (looks like it anyway). The bucket truck on the other hand leads a life of ease.
Glad you are happy with your IPs from Pensacola Kgw51gmc! And glad to hear your experience with real reliable Detroit diesels!
So far I got the stalling issue and the black smoke issue sorted on my refurbished IP. But still haven't been able to get the timing correct. But working on that. This is how it looks like on my Snap-On 480: https://youtu.be/gjvRhU_rvfA
Recently I was able to buy a 1988 6,2 J-code engine with documented less than 70k miles on it for under 300$. So I might try the IP from this engine. But since it has been sitting for a long time I will change the seals on the IP first.

#18 ·
I bought a rebuilt from Conestoga Diesel Injection in Lancaster Pa, $600 with core almost half decade ago. So far so good. Rebuilt IP's fall into 3 classes as far as IK. 1) Old pump sprayed down with brake cleaner and repackaged. 2) New seals. 3) New seals, new head and new rotor. Apparently new head and rotors are not very widely available anymore.

#19 ·
Conestoga appears to now be (or merged with) Moose Diesel out of SC.

I have read their pumps are pretty solid, but I am. It sure if they do new head and rotor. juanfo can you comment on how yours came?

I am going to upgrade to their bull moose pump here in the next year or so and can bump this thread.

#23 ·
can confirm when I got my pump it came with a bunch of moose stickers that add 5hp each when strategically located on the truck. When I brought in the core in person deep in Penn farmland I had to drive through some abandoned rust belt towns on the way there that looked straight out of the Deliverance movie set.
At the shop they asked me what setting I wanted to get the pump. The options were tractor pulling fierce rabid racoon tune or sophisticated fuel sipper tune were the 2 extremes. I chose the fuel sipper because the truck is a light weight. I dropped in the new pump with some new Badger injectors. First it smoked like a burned out rasta after a massive harvest. Now it smokes like a washed up stripper named Krystal after hitting solid rock bottom and getting promoted to truck stop lizard trying to cut back and get her **** together so now she only smokes when cold.
Idle is nice and even. Power delivery is smooth and constant consistently on accel and deceleration. Truck pulls hard. Overall I think the pump works awesome and would not hesitate to buy another one. Actually I am going to get another core and if I ever travel back to the land of the free I'll buy another pump just to have in storage for shtf scenario.

#20 ·
Badger diesel is an old-school diesel shop. I would not trust Pensacola diesel. Lots of bad reviews online about the db2 pumps failing within 5 months.

#21 · (Edited)
I hear that Midland Diesel in Minot,North Dakota is a good place as well to pick up a pump.

#25 ·
I’ve had 6.2 pumps rebuilt at Mylex International and Tallulah Injection (both somewhat local to me in SW MS) with great results. Tallulah also did a Cummins pump for me, and was lower in cost than anyone else. They are in the N LA farm country so do a lot of ag pumps, but have no issues with road pumps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.