Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my '03 Duramax the temp runs up to the first mark on the guage when Im running around town, but on the freeway it gets up to almost to the 210 mark. Is this right to vary so much? My brothers '06 Cummins runs at 200 all the time. I'm just worried theres a problem and I wan't to take care of it before summer hits and Im pulling the boat over the mountains. Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,954 Posts
Sounds like (it is) a bad engine thermostat. It has become sluggish because it is worn out and binding as it opens and closes. Never did a Dmax yet but it can't be that hard or expensive.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
How cold is it there? Sound fine to me if it is cold. I don't run as high as 210, but in the winter here it's hard to even get the gauge to read half way up while putting around town.

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
Depends on the temps outside. Been in the 30's and 40's here and mine will not get up to temp unless I am running on the freeway, around town that sounds normal.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im in northern Cal, Its been in the 20's and 30's at night but warms up nicely during the day. past few day's it's been in the 70's, can't complain. But we pay for the nice weather ie... fuel, emissions, property, taxes, and tree huggers.... bet we do have a Governator! I've had the truck since nov. and the temp hasn't changed. Just wondering what everybody else runs on there temp guage.... on my 5th Chevy truck. love them all. always have and always will own a Chevrolet Truck !!!!!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks GMC2500hd That makes me feel better. So do egt's have a big effect on coolant temp?

·
Registered
104 Posts
mine runs from 180-194 unloaded depending on speed dealer says its performing as designed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts