Diesel Place banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the glow plug controller on a 2003 Sierra?

I bought the part at the dealer (after I got a P0380 code repeatedly) and I have been searching for something that looks like it under the hood with no luck. Found a similar looking part between the valve covers, but it was smaller. Nothing closer to the firewall as noted in a previous post. Need help and if possible a pic!

Thanks!!

Konrad
Using mostly B-100

·
Registered
89 Posts
The glow plug controller is on the driver's side valve cover right by the firewall. There are 2 versions though, federal and cali emissions, and they look totally different.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PROBLEM - Different Glow Plug Controllers

OK, now I know why I had a problem finding the glow plug controller::eek::
After getting a P0380 code, I went to the dealer and bought a glow plug controller for my 2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD with the LB7 6.6 TD.
What I bought is shown in the first picture.

I searched everywhere under the hood, particularly near the firewall on the driver's side valve cover. No luck finding anything that looked like the part I bought.

Leaving no stone unturned, I unbolted and looked under the part in the second photo (inside the engine compartment) and it was labeled glow plug controller. The parts are totally different, even with very different connectors. What's the deal???

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Your truck has california emissions, and the controller they sold you is for a truck with federal emissions. You should be able to return it and get the correct one.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've gotten the p0380 code twice now, with new glow plug controllers. Is there a fusible link in the line somewhere? It seems like my plugs are working, I don't have any trouble starting when it's cold out.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Fuse

Yeah its under the fuses on the driver side. You have to unbolt it from the wheelwell and look under where the fuses sit. Took me a little while to find it. But if your glow plugs seem to be working fine it may be one or two plugs causing your code if thats whats happening! Good luck!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yeah its under the fuses on the driver side. You have to unbolt it from the wheelwell and look under where the fuses sit. Took me a little while to find it. But if your glow plugs seem to be working fine it may be one or two plugs causing your code if thats whats happening! Good luck!
x2 you just have either one or a few glow plugs that are bad. I had this same problem and had three bad glow plugs.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Where is the glow plug controller on a 2003 Sierra?

I bought the part at the dealer (after I got a P0380 code repeatedly) and I have been searching for something that looks like it under the hood with no luck. Found a similar looking part between the valve covers, but it was smaller. Nothing closer to the firewall as noted in a previous post. Need help and if possible a pic!

Thanks!!

Konrad
Using mostly B-100
Just a heads up i have a cali truck as well and when i get a po380 code it is my glow plugs that were causing the problem the only way to tell is to but your truck on a scanner and check the voltage going to the controller if the controller reads nothing then you have a bad controller but if it still has partial voltage it is your glow plugs.

·
Registered
295 Posts
also the voltage will tell you how glow plugs you have bad depending on what it reads i have a chart that shows this i will dig it out and see if i can post the #'s or your dealer may be able to tell you

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks, I will check the ones I can get to with an ohmmeter.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Glow plugs with Predator

I know the predator has voltage for the glow plugs on the diagnostics but I don't know when those should be sending voltage. I tried it on mine and a buddies and even when the wait to start barely came on the predator never showed any voltage? Just curious.

·
Registered
36 Posts
GLow plugs

I have an engine light on and it was determined theat possible glow plugs were bad. I tried to check for continuity and all of them had it. If I was to use an infera-red camera would I be able to tell which one was bad? How else can I tell which one is bad. Thanks

·
Registered
561 Posts
If all of your glowplugs have continuity with a multimeter then your glow plug controller is bad. Its either one or the other. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts