Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I seem to remember reading it somewhere here at the Diesel Place that GM issued a bulletin allowing the use of B20 on all 2006 Duramax engines.

Can somebody help me by pointing out that thread. I tried using the search function to no avail. I even used the advance search.

Jojo

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not at all. GM is on the verge of allowing B20. They are just a little concerned about the quality right now, but I don't think there is any issues with B20 as long as quality is good.

In the summer, I'm going B100. I like how it quiets down the engine. Unlike some folks, I don't like a noisy diesel engine.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I replaced my filters three times since I made the switch to B20 at the end of 2005. The only issue that you will have is not from the B100 blended with the petro, but whether or not the retailer installs new tanks/pumps prior to selling it. Putting B20 in an older tank = a few filter changes for those buying until everything is clean.

-Wardster

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wardster,

Was the issue with the dealer tanks being cleaned, or was it your truck tank being cleaned by Bio?

Jojo

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Wardster,

Was the issue with the dealer tanks being cleaned, or was it your truck tank being cleaned by Bio?

Jojo
I'll bet it was both.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, since this thread, I become aware of the issue of dealer's tanks being unclean. So, every Bio dealer I go, I ask first if they cleaned their tank. Seems like, the dealers here is Atlanta and Knoxville seems to be aware of this issue cause they all had their tanks cleaned prior to storing their Bio. One dealer even has heated tanks.

Jojo

·
Registered
38 Posts
bio for duramax thread

Ok, so is there a thread for this subject or do we just talk about it here?

·
Registered
369 Posts
GM has not authorized B20 usage in the pickup duramax engines yet they are contemplating it for 2007 but still have some issues with quality of commercially available B20 (water/bacteria and storage).

check out emerging issues for feb 2006 and specifically the topic #7 Q and A

http://raytheon.vportal.net/

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
GM has not authorized B20 usage in the pickup duramax engines yet they are contemplating it for 2007 but still have some issues with quality of commercially available B20 (water/bacteria and storage).

check out emerging issues for feb 2006 and specifically the topic #7 Q and A

http://raytheon.vportal.net/
I'm afraid to ask, what's with the raytheon link? Do you work for the company?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm afraid to ask, what's with the raytheon link? Do you work for the company?
No I'm a manufacturing engineer and i own my own business and the link came from another thread posted in the LBZ section for the "power up" discussion on the Raytheon link but my friend is an assistant service manager and he gets to watch those movies every month or so (its nice to have the same access to the material he dose though)

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
You guys are gonna' make me have to pull out my owner's manual.
I could swear that it says that up to B20 is cool.

·
Registered
369 Posts
You guys are gonna' make me have to pull out my owner's manual.
I could swear that it says that up to B20 is cool.
i actually have mine here. (just reminded my self to put back in the truck its been on my desk for 2 weeks)

page 5-3

"it is acceptable to use diesel fuel containing up to 5% bio diesel (B5) but the final blended fuel must meet the same specification, ASTM D 975 (grade low sulfur) ".........................................higher concentrations (i.e. greater that B5) bio diesel- containing fuels or the use of unmodified bio-oils blended into diesel fuel at any concentration is not recommended"

but i think that GM is considering OK'ing B20 for use is a good step forward and it seems that there only concern is the quality of the fuel and of the most important quality concern they seem to be looking at water content as this is what is going to destroy your injectors.

so its not the fuel it self but the care taken to store and manufacture it. so if your convinced you are using good quality fuel i say use it, more power to you and if warranty is your concern. when some thing happens go get some #2 and fill your tank they'll never know

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I just finished an 11-page public policy paper regarding the implementation of B20 by Congress. I ended up reading 120 page documents by the EPA, DOE, and USDA. I cant figure out how to attach a word document...if anyone wants a copy PM me your e-mail and you'll get some good reading;)

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Email it to rlockyer at linkline dot com and I'll host it on my web space and post a link to it for you.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I just finished an 11-page public policy paper regarding the implementation of B20 by Congress. I ended up reading 120 page documents by the EPA, DOE, and USDA. I cant figure out how to attach a word document...if anyone wants a copy PM me your e-mail and you'll get some good reading;)
I would be thankful for a copy

[email protected]

thanks in advance

Bill

1 - 16 of 16 Posts