327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My friend has an almost identical truck as my 93:
They are both 6.5s.
They both have the 5 speed manual.
They both are long-bed extended-cabs.
They both are 93 models.
They both are 4x4.
They have identical trim packages, except for one thing.

His has a factory stock tach, and mine doesn't. I'd like to have a tach. Where is the signal generated on his truck?

·
A Country Boy Can Survive...
Gone but not forgotten Member!
14,352 Posts
the signal is generated from the alternator. i'm not sure which wire it is in the plug however.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
what is that sendor on the 93 thats opposite where the glow controller is?? mounted to the block in the valley where a dist would go.

at one point someone told me it was a tach sendor?? No?

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
The sender opposite the gp controller is the engine speed sensor for the ecm.[$750 installed at the stealer] The signal isn't compatible with the tach. It is no dout more accurate than the tach and the signal from the alt. Get a instrement cluster with the tach and it will probobly work. The plug on the back of the cluster varied so it should be one from 91-93 if I remember correctly.A junkyard could tell you for shure witch years interchange. The wiring should be there for the tach. I do know the gp light is in a different location from 91 to 93

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
so i cant pop that in my goodwrench motor and have a tach?? or do need a certain tach? I suppose your saying only the stock tach would work with it?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
a 92-94 diesel tach cluster should pop right in and function, a 91 cluster was the first year of the tach and the wiring and plug is different and would not work correctly with your drac unit for the speedo

i have a 92 -94 diesel tach cluster here somewhere

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
i have the 86 cluster though.....no other way with aftermarket gauge?

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Sorry I didn't see the 86. Someone in the 6.2 fourm might know where to hook up a tach.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
as far as I know, you will need a tach adapter if you want to install an aftermarket tach on a diesel.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.