Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out last week that the motor in my truck was replaced by the dealer back in Oct. 1998. Now I am worried I have one of those 506 blocks instead of the better block that came out in 94. How can I tell what block I have and if I do have one of the lesser blocks what do I need to be concerned with? Preventative? As a side note, the engine has only had @ 37,000 miles put on it in the last 7+ years.

Thanks guys

D'Wayne

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
If the engine was replaced in 98 then it is one of the 506 at risk blocks. The block casting number is in raised casting on the left rear of the block just below the cylinder head head. There really isn't much you can do other than install a stud girdle in the bottom end. Do a search for some of TD's posts regarding checking for main web cracks, they'll tell you how to check for problems. But other than that don't worry yourself over it, if it is gonna go it'll go if not it will go for a long time.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I read about wiping down with laquer thinner and then watching for oil to appear thru the cracks and also remember someone saying, just what you said, if it is bad, it's bad, but if is a good one will last as long as anything else. No need worrying over what is to be.. LOL.. Once I get over my back problems, I will try to crawl under there and see what the numbers say. The truck won't ever really see serious hauling other than my 24' RV and maybe an occasional farm implement. I baby it around pretty good and have grown out of worrying about more power and making the engine unreliable. I did enough of that stuff with my ole '66 Goat years ago.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
The reason to do the inspection is not so much to worry about it, but as preventative to identify cracks which can be dealt with, vs ignorance is bliss until a crack possibly found earlier turns into a catastophic failure. I'm guessing that if it made it to 100K and is still not showing evidence of cracks you would be okay, that is my theory and my ignorance is bliss comfort zone.

·
Registered
912 Posts
What about 99. Problem block as well? I have 105,000 miles on it now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was wondering about the block casting number myself but purely for self interest. I have some very small numbers on the back of my block facing upwards but they read 299. Also they are depressed as if they were put in with a punch, instead of raised and they were very small. I had to lift them using silly puddy and read them in a mirror.

Now there is a huge J on the drivers side block if that helps. My truck also has the 97 cooling enhancements and the oil lines are 1/2 inch in diameter but the oil line to block connector is the smaller of the two options and uses the read sealant instead of the white sealant on the bigger fitting.

Is there such a thing as a 299 block and is that a good thing or bad. My apoligises if I hijacked this thread but a curious mind would like to know,:)
Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Out of curiosity, when they replaced the engine, would they have also changed out the IP? I am hoping so, cause if not then mine is the original with 126,000 on it. The engine replacement is the only history for this truck.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Dieselpilot I hope I get 250K outta mine

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Some 94's and late 95-96 could have come with the 929 block(or 9299 not certain), but it was basically a 599 block just a later casting. But all of the 97+ GM production enginesa were 506 blocks, but mid 97 to early 99's were the most failure prone. GM changed alloy content slightly sometime late in 98 for the mid 99 production vehicles.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I guess mine is a toss up then. The scan date for my engine was 2/19/1999

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the info thefermanator, in all honesty I've never had a problem with this truck, bought it new in 96 and except for an engine grounding issue and stalling condition back in 2000 I've been a happy 6.5 owner since.

r85sub, from my perspective I'd just keep it well maintained, don't beat the sh*t out of it and watch it keep going and going. I pull a 27 foot 5th wheel and a 16 foot boat behind mine, watch the guages and wash it lots. Something about a clean truck that just seems to make it run so much better.:)
cheers

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Some 94's and late 95-96 could have come with the 929 block(or 9299 not certain), but it was basically a 599 block just a later casting.
Good to know. I discovered that I have the 929 this fall and had never seen or heard anyone make mention of it.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Right on. I hope I have good luck with it. I just bought it last June. I got it from an old man. He really took good care of it. Oil was changed every 3000 miles and he kept up on all the other fluids as well. I really like how the truck drives and tows. And one of the few trucks I have had with a decent paint job so I am always washing it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
r85sub-Is yours a crew cab with a short box?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Yes sir. From what I am told it must have been ordered like that because diesels didn't usually come in shortbed crew cabs. Or something like that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts