Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know of one in canada. Is there one in GA? If so I may just have to save up and not get the mst.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Why twins over the MST?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not know if I will do twins over the MST yet. If I find a place nearby to do the install on the twins, I may just save up a little more $$$. I will attempt the MST install myself. The twins I am not too sure about.
I am just weighing my options. I will more than likely get the MST.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep. I sent you a pm w/ my info.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Just curious, but with running twins, you are still running the stock turbo. This turbo is the one that gets the big turbo spinning, right? If this is true you would have the same amount of lag as you do running stock. Am I missing something?

If this new MST works as well as they say it should, I would think lag would be way less, and still have the potencial of producing big psi.

I just want to make the better choice, and not knowing next to nothing about the in's and out's of turbo's, isn't helping.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will more than likely go w/ the mst. Especially if it is as good as they say it will be. I am just weighing my options.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
any links to the MST i would like to check it out post it PM me thanks

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you can call ATS they are located in colorado. The phone number is 1800-949-6002. The website is http://www.atsdiesel.com/ATSWebsite/Home.asp
The aurora 2000 and 5000 is here http://www.atsdiesel.com/atswebsite/ProductsGM/TurboSystems.asp
the mst turbo for the dodge is here: http://www.atsdiesel.com/atswebsite/ProductsDodge/TurboSystems.asp
Or you can read it for yourself. This was cut and copied off of the atsdiesel website on their dodge turbo section.
The Aurora MST (Multi Stage Turbo) is the latest innovation from ATS. As wasted exhaust
energy from the engine enters the turbine section of the turbo, the exhaust flow is diverted into only one volute section by a variable valve. This allows quick spool up of the turbo at low
speeds. As the variable valve opens for increased air flow, the exhaust is opened to both volute sections of the turbo, allowing the engine to " breath." This reduction in exhaust pressure increases engine efficiency, reduces exhaust temperatures, and increases economy. Now you have that "big turbo" performance with small turbo spool up. A key element of proper turbo sizing is the delicate balance between exhaust pressure and intake boost pressure. The innovative design of the Aurora MST automatically balances the pressures, optimizing turbo efficiency and response.

The response of the variable valve can be adjusted by using the adjustment screw to dial it in for your unique engine configuration. We have also engineered into the design an internal wastegate to protect from an overboost condition. The wastegate can also be adjusted for the exact max boost level desired.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
oh i have read about that turbo before i was just alittle slow yesterday but i would rather have the twins just to say i have twin turbos but that MST looks like it will be a good turbo and will be a cheaper install so i guess the MST would be the better cheaper way to go

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i would rather have a turbo that spooled up faster. Even if it only had a little more volume than the stock. That is just my preference though.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I would much rather have the 5000 and just deal with the slow spool up and gobs of HP, TQ and Boost!
The whole idea behind the variable turbo is to have the quick spool up of a smaller turbo and the gobs of boost from a bigger one. Let’s just hope that they get things rolling so these can become reality soon. Another month just blew bye! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
The whole idea behind the variable turbo is to have the quick spool up of a smaller turbo and the gobs of boost from a bigger one. Let’s just hope that they get things rolling so these can become reality soon. Another month just blew bye! :rolleyes:
:exactly:
I will get one it is comes out before I do mine. Slow spool up doesn't bother me so I could live with a 5000! But I do like the sound of the variable's so I may just wait.

·
Registered
648 Posts

The problem has always been trying to accelerate a large turbo quickly without surge while not over speeding it. The VGT, VVT, and VNT turbos all are capable of this in a factory application because they are programmed for it. As the wheels get bigger the slower they have to be accelerated before surge which limits the bottom end spool up. If you take a large turbo and put a tight enough housing for decent spool up yet large enough to prevent surge and then wastegate it you'd get essentially the same thing at the cost of a little back pressure. It will never spool as fast as a smaller turbo though. Tons of boost in a single turbo application isn't always good. Turbos are designed to work within their map. Outside of their map and they become inefficient which reduces their cfm potential and super heats the air. For almost every turbo out there that means below 45-50psi with some as low as 30-35psi.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
I would much rather have the 5000 and just deal with the slow spool up and gobs of HP, TQ and Boost!
ATS says on there website that the 5000 is not for towing heavy loads. And if there is a need to, make sure you pull the load in 4th gear.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I do not feel a need to push over 50psi. I know I may need headstuds someday but that is not anything I cannot handle. My goal is to not have a good reliable truck and be able to put 550 to the ground.

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
I do not feel a need to push over 50psi. I know I may need headstuds someday but that is not anything I cannot handle. My goal is to not have a good reliable truck and be able to put 550 to the ground.
Over 1 year with the twins and no reliability issues. Running 50+ PSIG.

The best part is the useable power (EGT Control)

No more downshifting a gear to raise rpms, no more changing power levels.

Not much else to say.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.