Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one with a Banks Six-Gun, or isn't anybody else talking about it?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Look at peoples signatures. There's a handful of us out here.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I should have worded it different. I realize that there's a few out there that own one, but nobody seems to remark on the performance of it. All I've seen is commenting on the dyno charts. Are people happy with it? Dissappointed? What's everybody else running in the 1/4? I've seen lots of times for other performance modules, but so far I think I'm the only one that ran the Six-Gun through the quarter....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Count me in on this one. it might not have any torque but mine will pull 10000 lbs. up a 6 mile grade at 6% in OD at 1600 rpm. without downshifting to 4th at 60 mph. in #3 setting. egt's never hit 1200 on any grade on a 700 mile trip. product is well engineered IMHO and wuoldn't trade it for any other tuner. safety is more important than winning dragraces in my book.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Hi Scott,

I installed (partially, still have to put on the speed loader option) mine on Monday. Don't know what the 1/4 mile times are or will be. Didn't buy it for that. I will write back after this weekend and let you know how it pulls my 5th wheel though. I am impressed with how it pulls unloaded though and even a couple of buddies think it moves pretty good, especially after they realize the vehicle their in weighs more than 7600lbs.!!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Scotty Seelen said:
I guess I should have worded it different. I realize that there's a few out there that own one, but nobody seems to remark on the performance of it. All I've seen is commenting on the dyno charts. Are people happy with it? Dissappointed? What's everybody else running in the 1/4? I've seen lots of times for other performance modules, but so far I think I'm the only one that ran the Six-Gun through the quarter....
level 1 16.355
level 6 15.19

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to admit I was pretty hot after I installed the Six-Gun and it barely outran my Hypertech (96hp 165tq). After all, a gain of 59hp and 190tq equals a faster truck. But it does outrun it and you can really feel the power/torque down low. I leave mine on #4 all the time. I like the push in the back you get after it shifts when you haven't even moved the pedal. If it kept up like that, it would probably run a 14.60. But I believe Banks engineered the hp/tq curve to be easy on the tranny as it's getting close to shifting-as you can tell by the charts. I don't think that the Six-Gun will CAUSE any warranty issues. It's got alot of safety built in-especially surrounded the tranny-where most problems are going to accur with this kind of gain in hp/tq. This box is probably one of the best for pulling heavy loads and not having a worry at all. Driving at 60mph (1900 rpm) is where this Banks should be most impressive with hardly any downshifting. Too bad I have nothing to pull except an occasional cooler of beer in the bed.

·
Registered
124 Posts
its real quick on short runs from light to light. not enough room to slow down. i wonder why all of the people are being so hush hush about the six gun. they spend 6000 -7000 for a trans and they own every other tuner created so I'M sure they have a six gun that they have stacked but are keeping it to themselves. If they tested it and it was that bad they would be right out here to give a bad report.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My trucks got a six speed so you can see 1/4 mile times are of zero inportance to me. I want mine to be a long lived tow beast. Towing my 9000 lbs. trailer headwinds don't exist, I don't have to get a run at any grade, I can carry as much firewood as I can cram in the bed and my pyrometer is under control.
All I need now is a clutch and flywheel thats up to the task.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
FISHHOG said:
its real quick on short runs from light to light. not enough room to slow down. i wonder why all of the people are being so hush hush about the six gun. they spend 6000 -7000 for a trans and they own every other tuner created so I'M sure they have a six gun that they have stacked but are keeping it to themselves. If they tested it and it was that bad they would be right out here to give a bad report.

Fishhog,

Most of the big power stacks are using the Juice for the low end power and another module to wring out the top end. From what I have seen of the six gun compared to the juice it would be a step back for the horsepower junkies.

It sounds like it does add a good shot of power for a tow truck that will do som occasional racing.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
FISHHOG said:

I have yet to TRY one .... But I think they pre conclusion of actual power delivered and the delivery would cause me not to have a place in the stable for anouther piece ....I'd rather invest the money into something else ....

I'm not saying there isn't a market for this "style" of product but in the HP wars The Six Gun had it's back against the wall with they "Shot" their mouths off as The MOST POWERFULL box from the get go....

You guys running it enjoy .....

Mac

Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well I'm happy with the Six Gun, it really sets you back in the seat and pulls hard.

I have one of the lighter trucks, Ext cab shortbox, and it hauls a$$. The odd thing about it is that it seems to accelerate just as hard at about half to three-quarters throttle as full.

I don't have anything to compare it to though, anyone want to trade for a week?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I believe that is the Oringinal Equipment Manufacture Clutch and Flywheel manufacture .... There isn't a aftermarket one available yet ... I think that is what he's looking for to add more power a beefier one ...

Sorry

Mac

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Mack,

When you say Luk is the OEM are you saying their clutch is the exact one that came from the factory or are you saying that they can be lumped in the general stock quality replacement categorie?

For example, when you go to the local auto store and buy an oil filter, are they not all OEM? Although Fram seems to get the least respect.

I am familar with several people who have used an over the counter Luk clutch with great results. They seem to build a good performing product with fair pricing. Not as good as a true aftermarket such as Hayes or Centerforce but good for the price.

Regardless of who's clutch you run, you need to get a resurface on your flywheel. It needs to be done right by someone with the tools and skill. This can go a long way to insuring a long lasting clutch.

Mack please do not take my statemnets about OEM as being argumentive. I am truly curious as to your explanation of OEM and so forth. It seems to be a term used here alot on the place, and I am not always sure the exact meaning intended by the author?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I'm pretty sure Luk is the factory supplier ....

I seen it some where it escapes me at the moment where ...

Mac

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
If Luk is the factory supplier then it wouldn't do much good to put in another!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mackin said:
FISHHOG said:

I have yet to TRY one .... But I think they pre conclusion of actual power delivered and the delivery would cause me not to have a place in the stable for anouther piece ....I'd rather invest the money into something else ....

I'm not saying there isn't a market for this "style" of product but in the HP wars The Six Gun had it's back against the wall with they "Shot" their mouths off as The MOST POWERFULL box from the get go....

You guys running it enjoy .....

Mac
while I will admit its not a race box it does have some good and bad
I am not into stacking but thought there had to be someone out there that has already done this. i bought it for a tow module and it does this very well. drag racing is not for me . dyno king costs to much. ill stick to back woods trail riding as my sport. thanks

1 - 20 of 51 Posts