Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 8k on my 2500 d/a. I will never tow anything. I use it for camping and 4x4 driving. Is the engine broken in enough to switch? Is it OK to just drain the regualr oil and pour in the syn? Whats the best syn to run? I want to keep this truck for 200K.

Took this pic while camping in Josua Tree........

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I would say it is enought to switch. I have read that you can run synthetic right from 0 miles. I personally would run at least 5-10,000 miles to get the rings seated. But I am far from an expert

Nice picture!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Amsoil states in their technical literature that a break in is not necessary. Many new hipo cars come right from factory with synthetic already in. I put 7k on mine on original oil, then installed Amsoil dual remote full flow/bypass filter amd Amsoil. 5k since, and all is well.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I waited till 5K ..... George Morrision stated you could switch to Synthetic at anytime .... Most wait till the initial couple quick drains at 500 and 2500 to flush out wear metals .... More of a cost issue ....

I recommend any synthetic that is Duramax "Certified" for use,check for the starburst seal and ratings ....

Mac

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I asked this question on another post. Later, I was looking at the service bulletin list and there is one about checking for excessive oil consumption. It basically says that the dealers are not supposed to do that until the vehicle has 5,000 miles on it. That would suggest GM does not figure the rings will be seated until then.

That 5,000 mile figure has been suggested by several individuals on this forum as well, so it sounds good to me.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I switched to synthetic at 2,200 miles after hearing a rumor that the factory mis-filled some of the early '03s with an oil not certified for diesels. I don't know whether the rumor was true, but my oil consumption has always been nominal.

By the way, Problemchild, great pic.

TCEdited by: Tsckey

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'll be switching to Mobil 1 at about 2000 miles. Alsp plan to drain & fill both differentials with synthetic then. Everything I've read says you can go to synthetic anytime. Will be hauling a 12000 lb 5th wheel 3000 miles in a few weeks and want to change all fluids before we head out.

Josua Tree - Arizona??

·
Registered
450 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
RMAX,

Is your 3500 a diesel? If so, I hope you switched to Mobil Delvac 1 instead of straight Mobil 1. Sorry to nag.

TC

·
Registered
132 Posts
Nag away. It keeps guys like me out of trouble. I haven't switched yet. I thought Mobil & Delvac were two different companies.

THanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
RMAX

Delvac is Mobil's Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil. It meets the API certification requirements for your Duramax. GM requires a API CH-4 or CG-4 oil. Delvac 1 actually meets CI-4, the next higher standard as well and CG-4 and CH-4. While Mobil 1 is a great product, it does not meet the minimum specifications GM requires. The only downside to Delvac 1 is availability. It can be found in larger areas, but you usually will not find it at your local auto parts store. George at AVS Lube can fix you up for mail order. You can also find it @ Flying J truck stops or most other truck stops that change oil. You may pay a premium at the truckstop. I have found that a local Exxon-Mobil distributor is the most cost effective for me. You will likely have to buy a case. I’m giving $81-82 a case with sales tax. If you are not close to one, having George ship you a case may be the best bet. George is great to deal with on products or oil analysis.
There are other oils out there that meet requirements and a few that people recommend that do not meet the GM specs. In some cases, the others are hydro-cracked fossil base oils. While technically a synthetic (at least a court decision says so) some feel it is inferior to a true Group IV-V base stock oil (POA and Ester) In my opinion, Delvac 1 is the best there is for a Diesel. Others may work but you bought the best truck, why even consider skimping on the oil. Run the Delvac 1, change it when your light comes on. Or turn into an “Oil Junkie” and pick up a few analysis kits from George! I’m running Delvac 1 in my 6.2 Diesel, and my 6.0 Gas. Analysis results look great for both. Everything else I own gets Mobil 1. The cars, Harley, lawnmowers and equipment all get some flavor of Mobil 1 from one end to the other. I have used Amsoil and like the product. I am not too fond of their distribution and marketing propaganda they sometimes put out. They buy base stocks for most of their oils from Exxon-Mobil and develop their own additive packages. They (or at least as of a few months ago) do not make a 100% synthetic oil that will meet the GM specified requirements for the Duramax.
Below are a few links. The forums may have more information than you ever want to know.

GM Oil TSB for D-MAX
Delvac 1 specs
Mobil 1 15-50<SPAN sty

1 - 11 of 11 Posts