Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 350,000 km on the beast and last time out towing ~5000 pounds I noticed I was not able to sustain the speeds I did last season on the same hills.

I mentioned this to my mechanic and he felt the injectors might be getting "weak". Any thoughts on replacing injectors that otherwise seem to function fine. With no load acceleration appears normal. I've noticed the truck is taking ever so slightly longer to fireup. Fuel mileage is the same.

I have used a fuel additive to increase lubricity since new. Started with Howes, switched to Stanadyne and now use 4 oz. of 2 stroke oil per tank as per a well seasoned (read old) diesel mechanic's advice.

Also this was the first tow since switching to the "F" ECM. I noticed the truck got a little hotter than usual also and am following the electric fan thread below.

Your thoughts please.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Time for new ones. You got your money's worth out of the originals.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Time for new ones. You got your money's worth out of the originals.
Yupp you only gone more than double what GM suggest changing them at.

·
Registered
73 Posts
injector replacement

How hard is it to replace the injectors on these trucks with the turbo?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
How hard is it to replace the injectors on these trucks with the turbo?
There are many schools of thought here. I just did mine. Be calm, take your time, it can be done. Out of personal choice, I removed the turbo and the inner fender well on the passenger side. I also dropped the downpipe so I could get that last damn glowplug. Total time was 4 hours and it was done.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
In my case, it took longer than 4 hrs. I did not drop the inner fender. The most difficult part for me was getting at the 4 nuts that hold the turbo down. Now that I've done it, I have to say that the project is not that difficult. Patience is the key.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
While he may obviously be overdue for new injectors, are you sure it's going to solve his problem?

I wonder if a new timing chain is in order as well?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts