Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 LMM. 127,xxx miles. It still has the oem belt. There is no noise or any cracking I can see. We will be going from Ohio to Vancouver Canada with a truck camper and pulling a Jeep.

Is there any consences on the service life of the belt and tensioner? I don't want to change something that isn't necessary.

Mark

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Will the belt and tensioner probably last for your trip and longer? Yes.

Will it totally suck if the tensioner decides to pack it in 100 miles from the nearest town, where it will take at least 24 hours to get the part in? Yes.

I would suggest at least having the parts in your truck (belt/s, idler/s and tensioner/s [I'm not sure if GMT900's have 1 or 2 belts]). It should be pretty straightforward to fix on the side of the road...

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I think your manual recommends your serpentine belt change at 150k Or every 10 years, whichever comes first.
I’m a believer of (pm) preventive maintenance since working at GM. Ideally you don’t want to break down and loose productivity.
I replaced my belt, tensioner, idlers at 10 years & 100k.
The way I think is if you do maintenance now it should be good for another 127k. That’s one less thing to worry about on a trip.

·
Registered
448 Posts
For whatever its worth, at 89K we just had both Thermostats replaced and had the serpentine belt replaced at the same time.

After getting the Thermostats and belt back, I'm glad that we had the belt swapped out because little cracks had developed.

Peace of mind!

·
Premium Member
17,839 Posts
Out of all the parts spinning with the belt, one of the two idler pulleys will be the first to fail.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Out of all the parts spinning with the belt, one of the two idler pulleys will be the first to fail.
THIS^^

Can't recall which, but since one was sloppy I did 'em all and the belt since I was already in there. Btw, on my LBZ I found it easy enough to remove the cooler tube on the lower passenger side to have room for the breaker bar to move the tensioner and pulled the belt from the bottom of the truck. It was a few years ago and my memory isn't that great or I'd offer more tips.

Also, there's mention of a particular brand of belt NOT to use. Something about building up harmful static electricity. Again, memory :facepalm:

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Belt: GATES K061195HD
Idler pulley: GATES 36310
Tensioner pulley: GATES 36239

Here's what I got for my LBZ back mid 2017 from Rockauto.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm finding two numbers that one seems to be for a single alt. The other isn't saying it isn't for a single.

I don't want the Gates because of a TSB that says use only an OEM belt. I don't know if It's still valid or not. After Market belts could cause an electrostatic charge and possibly damage the transmission control module. This I think was limited to LMM's and maybe a little earlier.
Mark

·
Premium Member
17,839 Posts
Gatorback is the suspect, but not proven, belt in the bulletin.
Gates is not suspect.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
I'm finding two numbers that one seems to be for a single alt. The other isn't saying it isn't for a single.

I don't want the Gates because of a TSB that says use only an OEM belt. I don't know if It's still valid or not. After Market belts could cause an electrostatic charge and possibly damage the transmission control module. This I think was limited to LMM's and maybe a little earlier.
Mark
Yea, I shoulda maybe been clearer. I was insinuating that since I mentioned there was a belt brand "issue" and then listed what I used I was meaning to tell ya that was safe. Sorry. My head, why aren't you in there... says my wife. :p:

Btw, I know Gates makes the ACDelco branded PS hoses and I think coolant hoses. I would not be surprised if they made AC's belts.

Per yoose, heymccall rocks! :thumb:

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have an 08 LMM. 127,xxx miles. It still has the oem belt. There is no noise or any cracking I can see. We will be going from Ohio to Vancouver Canada with a truck camper and pulling a Jeep.

Is there any consences on the service life of the belt and tensioner? I don't want to change something that isn't necessary.

Mark
So my 2007.5 LMM serpentine belt left the truck while driving to work one day with about 130k on the truck. I thought mine was fine too. When it wants to die, it will do so without warning.

As insurance, I would get a belt and the two idler pulleys as they like to seize over time and are real easy to change if you have the belt off. I would ALSO invest in a the special tool required to change the belt. It works like a champ compared to a breaker bar or anything else you might use to relieve enough tension off the idler pulley to mount the belt. I had to change my belt in the parking lot at work and it was a real PIA.

The belt is a super tight fit between the accessory drive and the fan/radiator etc. If I didn't go back to my shop and grab the serpentine belt tool I had from a previous job, I probably would still be there trying to get that belt mounted. So if you have the right tools and parts this is less than an hour job on the side of the road. If you don't, then it's a mini-life crisis.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
So my 2007.5 LMM serpentine belt left the truck while driving to work one day with about 130k on the truck. I thought mine was fine too. When it wants to die, it will do so without warning.

As insurance, I would get a belt and the two idler pulleys as they like to seize over time and are real easy to change if you have the belt off. I would ALSO invest in a the special tool required to change the belt. It works like a champ compared to a breaker bar or anything else you might use to relieve enough tension off the idler pulley to mount the belt. I had to change my belt in the parking lot at work and it was a real PIA.

The belt is a super tight fit between the accessory drive and the fan/radiator etc. If I didn't go back to my shop and grab the serpentine belt tool I had from a previous job, I probably would still be there trying to get that belt mounted. So if you have the right tools and parts this is less than an hour job on the side of the road. If you don't, then it's a mini-life crisis.
I have to agree. The breaker bar would not move enough with the air cooler tube in place. This meant I had to remove the fender liner so I could remove the air cooler tube so the bar could move enough. YMMV, but yea, it coulda been easier I bet with the exact tool. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts