Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you caught my last post, you will remember I am having engine problems with my 95. https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/21-6-5l-diesel-engine/980296-sudden-blow-running-rough-idle.html When the dust settled I started wondering how much I really want to invest in a 25 year old truck. I started looking at newer ones online and they pretty much want stupid money for anything worth bringing home. Plus sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't. I like the 95 and think I have fixed most of the other things wrong with it. Is it stupid to sink more $ into it? Thoughts????

Reactions: Chicagomike

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Why do you need two trucks?

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I own 2, clean, low mileage 20+ year old, daily driver trucks. I like trucks. I could sell either one for as much or more than I paid for them. They both get better fuel mileage than newer diesels with lower operating costs.
I would rather put money into a 20 year old truck than buy new. The price of new Trucks is just not worth it to me. I have no need of a new truck and all the high tech, overpriced crap that comes on them.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Why do you need two trucks?" You sound like my wife!

When I sell cattle I will load up both stock trailers and my wife hauls a load. Just works better. I have also found that when you run older vehicles/equipment it does hurt to have a backup.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,164 Posts
Missouri,

I’d go ahead and repair it.I’ve been down this road myself a few times.I have three of those trucks here.I put quite a bit of money into each one but it’s more of a hobby for me than anything else.Its not stupid at all to repair it.I like your idea to continue with it:thumb:

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
As long as its not rusty I would fix it. Like you said they get a lot to stupid money for newer stuff.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The cost of a new equivalent vehicle is $50,000+. The injectors for the new Duramax run $500 to $800 EACH. Not only are the new vehicles far more expensive--they are less dependable and absurdly expensive to repair. Not to mention having to buy the Diesel Urea stuff constantly. Here in Illinois--the diesel fuel quality is horrible as we have a biodiesel mandate. At least with older "precup" engines--it still works. Not so much with common fuel rail, direct injection etc. As long as you're ok with a vehicle that looks "dated"--and only care about functionality--I say buy a used one and just spend what you need to make it dependable. Essentially...I just did that...and so far so good...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts