Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the stock wheels shouldn't be used to mount 285/75/16's, but what is optimal 8", or 10"?

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
Stock alloy wheels are fine with the 285/75-16 BFG ATs. I've got 27,000 on mine and the wear is excellent. I run at 42 psi all around and rotate at 10,000 mile intervals (every other oil change).:ro)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the 285/75/16's mounted on the stock wheels now, but I do quite a bit of towing during the summer (approx 7k pounds), and for safety reasons, wanted to mount them on the proper size wheels.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I have them on 16x8s. I think they are the optimum width. I like the way it makes my truck look like a truck!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
You can go look at the manufacturer's websites and look at the tire specs, they pretty much recommend an 8" wheel. Here is a pic of my 16" x 8" with the 285/75R16 Terra Grappler.

·
Registered
59 Posts
this was my dilema right before i decided to buy wheels. frankly, i like the look of 285s on stock rims and i know a lot of people that have done it. i did go with a 16x10 bead lock style rim on 285s and they look/perform nice. i'd still like to get a set of 285s on my stock rims and keep these ones for good and off the farm type use

The tire guys said that a 285 on a stock rim can cause it to cup out running at ~38psi and will cause uneven wear. i call bull**** but would like some second opinions and how many of you have done the 285 on a stock rim

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
i call BS also i have never seen my tires cup and i have ran 295 BFG A/T

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
From my post above... 42psi all around, 10,000 mile rotate and all 4 are still happy at 27,000 mi.
Oh, and my tire guy (a neighbor) said the same thing about wear problems. Now he's taking advice from me to give his other HD customers about psi and rotate info. Guess this old dog has learned a trick or two along the way. Mostly you just have to know how to read your tire wear and act accordingly...

·
Registered
208 Posts
295's

i call BS also i have never seen my tires cup and i have ran 295 BFG A/T
I was thinking about mounting a set of BF's on my 05' and wonder what you had to do for clearance? I have stock suspension with the bars cranked to even it out. I have 285's now and have plenty of room with stock wheels. Would go with an 8in. aftermarket wheel. I would like to hear about your running the 295's.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
How bad do they rub. And how many turns on the t bars
A 305/70 is the same diameter as a 285/75.... just a little wider :)
Would go with an 8in. aftermarket wheel.
16x8 is okay with 4.5" backspacing. Anything less will rub badly. I've got a little rubbing on the front and rear of the driver's side inner fender liner. Little trimming on the front behind the washer reservoir fixed that side, I haven't bothered with the rear.

·
Registered
744 Posts
How bad do they rub. And how many turns on the t bars
mine only rub when i turn left, they hit the emergency brake cable... i could ziptie it back, but it doesn't bother me that much. No rubbing when turned right. There is a 1" difference between the 285 and 305 width's, the 305 being the wider.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
that truck looks so good with those tires

post more pics uReside on level ground from the front back side and front angle shots i would like to see more of your truck

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
that is one nice truck you have i was thinking about getting a different color than white for the truck that i will be getting in several months but after seeing yours i think i will keep it white

·
Registered
744 Posts
that is one nice truck you have i was thinking about getting a different color than white for the truck that i will be getting in several months but after seeing yours i think i will keep it white
thanks... if they had a "real" silver, i would have done that, they tried to sell me the silver birch, and i told them no way. Now that i've had the white (my first out of 16 vehicles) I'll never have any other color.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
thanks... if they had a "real" silver, i would have done that, they tried to sell me the silver birch, and i told them no way. Now that i've had the white (my first out of 16 vehicles) I'll never have any other color.
my first truck was a lifted 69 GMC that was a burgandy color but after that everthing has been white i had a white truck extended cab with black fender flares and i traded it in because it looked to much like a worktruck and i ended up getting another white truck but i have been going back and forth from white to silver birch and everytime i see a white truck i want a white one but then i see a silver birch one i want that color

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
if i get a chevy i think it will be white and if i get a gmc it will be silver birch only time will tell

1 - 20 of 21 Posts