Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello members, I'm new to the site and this is my first post. I've got my 03 Duramax at the dealer today looking at the right front wheel bearing. I've got 73,000 miles on it and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
Quick answer, yes it happens all the time.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I think when a person rotates the tires from now on they should retorque the axle nut. I would guess most of the bearing problems are being caused by a loose nut or two. Pun intended.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Are you all losing them at the point that the hub is also being replaced, or you guys catching them soon enough just to do the bearings ?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
:welcome:
Good to have you in the brother (and sister)hood. When you get a chance, create a signature showing your truck options and modifications so users can help you easier. Also, create a "Garage" and post pics of your new rig.

Good luck at the stealer!

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
First one,50,000mi.BAD design.BAD engineers,no soup for them!!!:mad:

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
Ya basicly. Personaly, I've only replaced them around 100k, highest being 180K lowest 80k.

·
Registered
263 Posts
replaced drivers side at 24k and passenger side at 28k along with 2 steering shafts already and only at 32k now. Hoping that Chevy might throw in a free under the hood light on next visit. :)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Left front replaced yesterday at 56k miles. Think it was that way when I bought the truck 1k miles ago. Caught it when the tires were being rotated. I was thinking it was the intermediate shaft and was going to have them look at it before the warranty expired. The other good news is dealer did not say one word about the 265's on the truck :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Has anyone tried pressing out the bearing? Reason I ask is, my Dodge ad the sealed hub also. About a $400 piece that would fail around the 80,000 mile mark. We found that the bearing could be pressed out, sourced locally, and pressed back in for around $150. Just wondering.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Not really sure why you would want to considering you can order the entire hub for less than $200 each at gmpartsdirect. Everything is new for that price, not just the bearings.

-Wardster

·
Registered
12 Posts
wardster - just was wondering, that's all. Dodge hub was $400, GM hub $200. Maybe GM bearing is $20????? Maybe worth looking at that's all.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
They are sealed hubs. There is no way to lube them or tighten them. I have replaced quite a few.
What!?!?!?:eek:

Do you mean that there is no way to repack the front wheel bearings or service them in any way? I have to wait 'till they fail and then replace the complete hub assembly? Is this the case on both 2WD and 4WD trucks. That really sucks!!!

Any body know the reasoning behind a sealed bearing design that can't be serviced? Doesn't make sense to me other than to generate more revenue for the dealer.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Probably because in todays world most people don't do any service untill something falls off.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts