Diesel Place banner

Wheel Bearing Question

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Tolliwacker 
#1 ·
I know that there is an overabundance of wheel bearing threads on this site, but I have a question. What is stopping us from using a press to pop out the old bearing from the hub assembly and then pop a new one in with the press? Is some part of the assembly broken when you pop the old one out? I just received my hub assembly today and plan on doing the install tomorrow, but if there is a way to actually replace the bearing without spending $200 on a whole damn hub assembly, I'd like to do it. Has anyone done it?

#2 ·
I haven't done mine yet, but I've wondered the same thing.

I'm going to flag this tread to see what's up with this.

#3 ·
If a person had a press??? I have not had an assembly in my hand, but there are some folks on here that have had to change it, so chime in.

Does it appear you can change just the bearing?

If so, when you press the bearing off, you could get the number off of the bearing, and even cross reference it to another bearing to get the right one, ie.. ID/OD/Thickness ect...

Sounds like it would save a few dollars!

#4 ·
i was thinking about this the toher night as i have a feeilng i am due for new front wheel bearings....... cant wait to see some pic's of the madness that makes up the front wheel bearing set up on these trucks......

#5 ·
I changed me left side yesterday. $350 from NAPA tax included with a lifetime warranty.

Today I started machining the jigs I think I'll need to press the old one apart.

Once I get it apart, I'll see if I can find the bearings (I wrote the numbers down from the new one) and if I can rebuild the old one safely, I'll post pictures of the jigs I'm making along with instructions on how I did it.

#6 ·
You are building a jig? Will a bearing separator not do it?
I am unfamiliar with the front wheel bearing assembly, so I do not know.

I am very interested in seeing this. Please keep us posted!

#7 ·
Yeah, this is the only way I could see to do it with no damage or markings on any part of the assembly.

The way it's designed, my 12 ton press is not wide enough to fit the flange that the lugs are pressed into and I have no way to hold the hub that the bearings are pressed into.

I'm not machining this jig for a one time use. I have several friends that have these trucks and I plan on adding this to my collection of tools in my work shop. I want it to be functional and usable without having to fight the assembly. Basically a one man job.

I'll let you know what I come up with.

BTW, thanks for your posts on the T/case issues. I have my upgrade ordered from MA.

#9 ·
Well, Z71 is right. Not that I didn't believe him but I had to try for myself.

I finished making everything I needed to press everything apart and after disassembling, cleaning and inspecting each part, I don't see anyway to rebuild the assembly.

The races look to be machined in and they can't be removed. I even reassembled everything thinking that I could install a shim and tighten them up and get the slack out. Wrong.

I guess I'll just spend $350 and buy the one for the right side from NAPA with the lifetime warranty and never have to buy another one. That'll take care of both sides.

#10 ·
If Wilbur and Orville Wright did not try, we would still be relying on trains and ships.

Thanks for the attempt, everything is worth a try!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.