Diesel Place banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my dash when im driving. This is the second time this has happened and i dont think its the stepper motor but i could be wrong?

It cranks all the way around "slowly) to this position and still reads, (just in the wrong position). It slowly corrects itself till its back to normal. Then again this morning it did it again.

For you guys who lost stepper motors, do they just quit or do they start pulling wierd **** like this first...?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Im gonna have to say that the oil pressure is a bit high :D

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
hey Didn't they have a recall on instrument clusters for this year? Or was it an earlier year?

Yeah, I'd make sure your oil cap was still on the engine block, oil pressure that high could sent it THROUGH your hood :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
When my cluster gauge went pretty much all my gauges where reading wrong not just one or two. So not sure what’s going on with yours. I would say maybe the sending unit. But you do need to fill up soon.;)

·
That's what she said....
727 Posts
This is my dash when im driving. This is the second time this has happened and i dont think its the stepper motor but i could be wrong?

It cranks all the way around "slowly) to this position and still reads, (just in the wrong position). It slowly corrects itself till its back to normal. Then again this morning it did it again.

For you guys who lost stepper motors, do they just quit or do they start pulling wierd **** like this first...?

marc,
Mine started putting the weird stuff like yours. Mine is actually out of my truck right now and about to get sent off in the mail to get my speedo fixed, along with some burnt out lights. Sometimes it will work, and then have a mind of its own. I'll let you know how good mines works when I get it back from the guy that's fixing it, and if it's good, I can PM you the info. Gonna cost around 95 to fix my speedo and lights. All of my other gauges function good though. The warranty is 75,000 miles, and I actually got a recall letter in the mail.... about 20,000 miles to late:rolleyes: . I'll let you know bro.
-Steve

·
Registered
101 Posts
Actually when my stepper motor went out on my '05 on the speedometer it would keep climbing like that.... new stepper fixed it

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
mine went all over for about 2 weeks before changing stepper

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:muahaha: You guys dont miss anything! Yeah my washer fluid is low, and i got no diesel! I have 60 gallons in my other tank, see addtional pic:smoke2: also notice the disgusting windsheild from no washer fluid and driving highway 60 in FL once a week.

Sounds like i need a stepper motor.... As you can see in the second pic, its starting to come back to normal again.

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
Could it be a grounding issue? Seems odd that they are all doing at the same time.

·
That's what she said....
727 Posts
I think I have a pic of my speedo in my garage when my stepper went out... It was pegged. Took it apart and replaced it, have had zero problems since.
Exactly what mine looked like... then sometimes it would work. PITA.

·
Registered
448 Posts

With that high pressure it look like the washer fluid got in the oil. When that happens the engine will need replaced even if it still run ok. Just send me the old engine for proper disposal..Sorry for your loss.:(
Now what I did was to buy 7 new stepper motors @6.95 ea. (ebay) and replaced only two bad motors . While you are in there replace the burnt lamps you get from radio shack. The whole instructions is in the DIY section here.Very complete and easy if you can solder small parts. I used the same lamps for the DIC buttons.They lift stright out and have very short wires...Good luck

·
Resident Squid
1,710 Posts
Soooooooooo. What the hell is a "stepper motor"? :confused::confused: I've got an '04 Impala that's doing that same thing. Same thing on it too???????
It is the motor on the other side of the circuit board that makes the needles move. Do a search for stepper motor on ebay and you will get a visual.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
With that high pressure it look like the washer fluid got in the oil. When that happens the engine will need replaced even if it still run ok. Just send me the old engine for proper disposal..Sorry for your loss.:(
Now what I did was to buy 7 new stepper motors @6.95 ea. (ebay) and replaced only two bad motors . While you are in there replace the burnt lamps you get from radio shack. The whole instructions is in the DIY section here.Very complete and easy if you can solder small parts. I used the same lamps for the DIC buttons.They lift stright out and have very short wires...Good luck
I have a crate engine coming from GM, they had an LLY on the shelf. Send me your address and ill get that thing freighted to you, that pos had clean oil but i didnt want to take any chances. I told GM you were going to do a proper disposal so they wavied the core charge.

When you found the stepper motors, were they all same for even the bigger gauges (tach and speedo)?

And i have 4 bulbs out in my dic controls!

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
A bad oil pressure sensor or ground issue would NOT cause that. The cluster is electronically controlled and has preset limits that it will only allow the needles to move to regardless of sensor reading. So for example, if the cluster was functioning correctly, but the oil pressure sensor went bad and gave the ecm/cluster a reading of "220psi", its not like the gauge is going to wrap around in effort to indicate 220 psi. The cluster is smart enough to know that the gauge itself only goes up to 120psi, so it would just put the needle at 120psi.

So yes, in your case the cluster stepper motor is bad.... ;)

ben

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.