Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I started my truck (20 degrees outside), everything normal. As I started my 17 mile trip, I had no tach, no speedo, no guages. Everything else was normal. After arriving and the truck sitting for an hour, I started the truck and everything was normal. Things like this make me paranoid. :confused:

·
Registered
242 Posts
My 03 used to do this. At extremely cold temps my battery voltage was low (plus I had one weak battery). If the BCM senses low voltage the gauges will not function, but the truck runs normally. On the next restart, the gauges will usually work.

Some people have reported they had to pull a fuse (not sure which one....BCM?) in order to get the gauges to work again. Also, there is a TSB on this, not a warranty item, but a software update that addresses the problem in the majority of cases. I don't know the TSB # anymore but do some searching and you can find it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Had same problem with mine and found out at the dealers it was a loose ground from engine to frame somewhere on drivers side in back of left front tire.
My guages would go crazy and security light would go on and fuel guage would go to empty, abs light flashed real spooky, but ok now.
They said because it was loose

·
Registered
29 Posts
my truck does this every so often. I just stop my truck at the side of the road, shut it off, count to 5 restart it, and it works. Sometimes my cruise control, or something else wont work. After restarting it, the computer resets
and everything works again. I figure if that's the worst my truck does, I'm doing good. I wouldn't let a mechanic touch it for something like this, would
more than likely simply make it worse. (If not broke, don't fix it).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input, guys.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Mine has done the same thing with the cruise control and onstar phone. If i pull over to the side of the road and restart everything is fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts