Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a new exhaust system sans cat and am noticing some blue smoke only at idle in drive... Seems to do it as the unit is getting up to operating temp. My friends lly does the same thing.... Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Blue usually means oil. Give us some info on the truck and we can help more. Year, mileage, power enhancements, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
04 with 25,000 miles. only mods are magnaflow duals and k&n panel filter, no programmer of any kind. The weird thing is that it only does it at idle in drive, when you throw it into park it clears out, as well as when you step on it.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
It's a oilburner (diesel) mine will smoke blue cold at idle due to incomplete combustion.

I can also see a blueish haze along with grey when stepping deep into the throttle.

Most if not all now is well camouflage by black smoke but that's a whole due to HP enhancement.
If you are not adding excessive crankcase oil between changes I wouldn't let it bother me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read an old post about lly engines throwing codes because of the removal of the cat. Maybe I just notice more because i have a pipe on the left side of the truck now!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did some more homework, it looks like this has something to do with injection timing as it is getting up to temp. Had the balance rates on the injectors check out and they were perfect:) . Looks like nothing to worry about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts