Diesel Place banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new to this whole forum deal but desparite for answers. I bought two trucks one wrecked 2005 Chevy C4500 2wd with 500 miles on it. The other was a 2005 GMC C5500 4x4 140,000 miles on it with a blown engine. So I had the engine taken from 4500 and put in 5500 thinking it would b simple swap since 8th digit of both vins was a 2. And everything Ive read said that was an lly. But now my mechanic is saying there different and I need to just hunt the correct engine. Ive even called a dealer and he said the engine I needed was a lly but the one that I have that im trying to replace was a lly with a lx or something power package. I had another tell me I needed a LBZ. So I guess im asking how do u really know what u have or what u need or can the swap I have b done. Ive read so much about the 05 to early 06, 06/07 generation engines im confused and at a dead end at moment. Im hoping someone else has had this issue and resolved it lol. with something like swapping wiring harness and computer ,ecm or something. I just hate to buy another engine when I have a basically new one already and its already been put in the Truck im working on. Thanks guys for help you can give me. :Insane:

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Sure would like to help. But info says they should be the same. Unless there is a difference between 2wd and 4X4. The change came in 2006 for controls. The LBZ never made it to MDT's. But it may be there with VIN still staying with a 2. 2007.5 was when the LMM came to MDT's.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The simplest way to tell the lly or lbz is the dished valve cover. You should be able to see the valve cover is dished around the injector.

·
Registered
139 Posts
LLY vs LBZ and differences

From the Pick-up side of things there are much easier distinctions
1st: A true LLY or even an early model LBZ that has VIN #2 and looks like an LLY

The RED Duramax Diesel

The VIN will be 2

The truck may not have the Tapshifter.

The glow plug controller will look different.They are both to the right of the turbocharger if you are facing the firewall pointing towards the front of the truck..... The LBZ's definitely sticks out more.

The easiest way would be to locate the FICM or the fuel injection control module. It is on the passenger side valve cover on the LB7.....When the LBZ was introduced and the new 32-Bit Bosch system was implemented they did away with the FICM.

The air intake may also look different.
As well as the tach.

If all else fails just listening to the engines run will let you know the LLY is a bit noisier. It almost aggravates me sometimes how quiet my LBZ is once warmed up all I can hear is slight rattle and the LBZ tick at idle:banghead:

·
Registered
139 Posts
One more thing I forgot to mention is the trans is easy to tell. The 5 Speed trans will have the red dipstick and the 6-speed allison has the ring you grab like an oil dipstick almost and is dark grey.

·
Registered
390 Posts
One more thing I forgot to mention is the trans is easy to tell. The 5 Speed trans will have the red dipstick and the 6-speed allison has the ring you grab like an oil dipstick almost and is dark grey.
Interesting because I have a transmission with a red dipstick that has a ring on it. Are you sure this is not HD truck thing?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Interesting because I have a transmission with a red dipstick that has a ring on it. Are you sure this is not HD truck thing?
I'm going to guess you have an LBZ. If you can't find the fuel injection control module then it is an LBZ. Also some of the reasons listed above. IDK if the trans dipstick is different on the medium duty trucks

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
My 2004.5 has the red dip stick also. Your notes may be for a light duty truck. 1500 to 3500.

·
Gone but not forgotten member
2,580 Posts
Not sure if it makes much difference this is for the LD trucks and doubt the MD trucks are different.
=

=
=

1 - 10 of 10 Posts